cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to backup to the next tape?

flekzout
Level 3

hi I have daily backup running from monday to saturday, the question is.. everyday the backup finished it will append to the same tape, unless I took it out in the morning.

Is there a way to configure so the backup will be perform to the other tape instead to the same tape?

lets say monday = tape001 and tuesday it will goes to tape002, instead backing up to tape001 again.

Thanks. coz it will save my time to go there and eject the tape everyday.

I use HP LTO Ultrium 3 Tape Cartridge with veritas netbackup 6.5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

If you freeze the tape it will not be used.

This would mean that you would have to manualy freeze the tape by had from last nights backup and unfreeze the tape for tonights backup.

You could try writing a script to cycle through the 60 tapes to do a freeze and unfreeze each day.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sunbird
Level 4

Uncertain of the pattern you wanted for the rest of the week, or the following week?  So...

A) Setup a different schedule for each day of the week, each going to it's own volume pool. It would not be the greatest use of the media, but would work.

B) Otherwise, set the "volume expiration date" on each tape after it is written to...

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange  -exp  01/01/2009  12:00:00  -m  <media_id>

The media would not be mounted for a backup (since it is currently after Jan 1st). At the end of the week, eject them all and/or remove thevolume expiration date:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange  -exp  0  -m  <media_id>

The media would once again be ok to be mounted.

flekzout
Level 3

hi big thanks for your reply,...

currently I have daily pool, weekly pool, and monthly pool..

in this daily pool, I have daily backup.. which is I meant backup for everyday...

lets say today tape = tape001(barcodename) and tomorrow tape002 and so on..

currently my daily pool backup or the policy will backup daily.. but the thing is it will be backup on tape001 on monday, and if I did not take out the tape after the backup finished. the day after tomorrow the backup will append to tape001 again.. so I want the backup to go to tape002 instead of tape001 again.

btw, my tape expiration date or retention is equal to 1month.. the cust asked for that. and we have like 60 daily tapes. so this 60 tapes will be use everytime. so will use tape001 to tape 060.. after finished, will start again from the beginning tape001.. 

Thanks.

Message Edited by flekzout on 02-20-2009 08:37 AM

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

If you freeze the tape it will not be used.

This would mean that you would have to manualy freeze the tape by had from last nights backup and unfreeze the tape for tonights backup.

You could try writing a script to cycle through the 60 tapes to do a freeze and unfreeze each day.

flekzout
Level 3
I guess I have no choice but to use 'freeze' , but this method sometimes will fail because if the backup tries to read the freeze tape on and on.. it will make the backup fails to start..

MariusD
Level 6

Hi,

can you do ..what i have did :)) 

For each day a volume pool - Monday_pool, Tuesday_pool ... Monthly_pool

And for each type of Policy ...one policy with many schedules ( Monday, Tuesday, ...Friday, and Monthly) 

In each Schedule can you "override policy volume pool" to right pool. I have forgot ....all of this things work just with a SCRATCH pool.

An so you have for each day a pool and in each pool a tape (ore many when daily backup take more that 800Gb).

Regards,

Marius D.