cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to decide which policy type to use to configure a backup

Kushaal
Level 4

Hi,

I came across many policy type like SAP,MS-Windows,MS-Exchange-Server,MS-SharePoint,oracle etc.

lets consider a example.I have a windows 2008 server which as SAP running on it.

for my above example

Under what circumstence i should use SAP and  MS-Windows policy type.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

SAP is just another Database application type.

In your case that: "I have a windows 2008 server which as SAP running on it"

You can use either one MS-WIndows or SAP policy.

With MS-Windows policy backup, you will need to basically shutdown your database or have the database dump a copy of existing data into flat file, then you backup those flat files. This is what we usually call Cold backup.

With SAP policy backup, you have the flexibility and do not have shutdown/dump anything. You can backup SAP data online, and that's usually call a Hot backup.

If you involve migration, you will have to ensure the restore follows the backup policy type, there should be no change of policy type at all.

Note: Please try not to type all your sentences in BOLD characters, not only it's more difficult to read, but it may appear rude to others.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

smurphy
Level 4
Employee Certified

SAP, Oracle, Exchange, Sharepoint policies all require the appropriate Agent to use those policies.

Use MS-Windows for everything other than live database volumes.
I recommend exploring the NetBackup product page, maybe start in the Documentation section for information on these Agents:

go.symantec.com/nbu

Kushaal
Level 4

hi smurphy,

Thanks for your support.

Why i am asking you this question because.In our DATA CENTER WE ARE PLANING TO MIGRATE DATA FROM ONE STORAGE lun TO OTHER.

FOR THIS WE ARE PLANING AS BELOW.

FOR eg:IF I HAVE SERVER WITH 500 gb lun GIVEN FROM OLD STORAGE for a server.THEN I HAVE to TAKE BACKUP OF THAT lun USING syamantec netabckup

then map new LUN from new storage to the same server and restore data backUP of old LUN to new LUN.

this above activity as to be done for more then 15 servers.I am not sure what servers are this(like whether it is SAP server or sql server etc.)

If i take down time of applications running on the servers as well databases and backup up drive using Windows policy.
and restore on a new LUN  AND THEN BRING DATABASE AND APPLICATION ONLINE WILL IT BE FINE.

BY FOLLLOWING ABOVE METHOD  DO U THINK THERE WILL BE ANY ISSUE TO APLICATIONS AND DATABASE RUNNING ON THE ABOVE SERVER.

nOTE:WE NOT MIGRATING os PARTITION OF SERVER.AS OS IS INSTALLED ON LOCAL DRIVE OF THE SERVER

Kushaal
Level 4

KINDLY DO LET ME KNOW UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCE PEOPLE PREFER USING sap POLICY OVER WINDOWS 

watsons
Level 6

SAP is just another Database application type.

In your case that: "I have a windows 2008 server which as SAP running on it"

You can use either one MS-WIndows or SAP policy.

With MS-Windows policy backup, you will need to basically shutdown your database or have the database dump a copy of existing data into flat file, then you backup those flat files. This is what we usually call Cold backup.

With SAP policy backup, you have the flexibility and do not have shutdown/dump anything. You can backup SAP data online, and that's usually call a Hot backup.

If you involve migration, you will have to ensure the restore follows the backup policy type, there should be no change of policy type at all.

Note: Please try not to type all your sentences in BOLD characters, not only it's more difficult to read, but it may appear rude to others.

Kushaal
Level 4

Thank u watson.

I am sure i will not repeat using bold letter next time.Thanks for going through my description above.

I am also clear with below statement

"if you involve migration, you will have to ensure the restore follows the backup policy type, there should be no change of policy type at all."

Will mark your description as solution  soon.