cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to disregard partial backups in PureDisk

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

overnight i have this Oracle backup that failed in the early hours of the morning. it has already backup almost 1TB of data when it failed (due to missing archive). i have cancelled the retried job and manually started a fresh one.

for the partial backup images that were already done, how can i prevent dedup from using them and also how to free up the disk space consumed by them?

regards,

Rino

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You should expire the image and reclaim the disk space

You should take a look at the below technote

How to reclaim deduplication storage space manually (PureDisk Storage Pool and NetBackup Media Server Deduplication Pool)
Article URL:http://www.veritas.com/docs/000005365

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You may want to read up in NBU Admin Guide I about 'parts of NetBackup catalog ' The default installation path for NBU is /usr/openv. If /usr is not a separate filesystem, the it is part of / (root) partition. The image catalog is added to while a backup is running. Always a good idea to install NBU to a separate partition or at least move the image catalog to a different partition. Was any kind of sizing done before NBU was installed? And before Dedupe was implemented? The dedupe partition should have sufficient space to hold at least 2 weeks worth of backups. A partial backup should then not be an issue and will benefit the next backup as most of the data is already stored and only changed blocks will be added during next backup.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
How to relocate the images folder: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038245 ...this is usually the largest portion of the catalog. The "images" folders does not contain backup images, it contains the images "files" file(s) for every backup image, hence the folder name of "images".

7 REPLIES 7

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You should expire the image and reclaim the disk space

You should take a look at the below technote

How to reclaim deduplication storage space manually (PureDisk Storage Pool and NetBackup Media Server Deduplication Pool)
Article URL:http://www.veritas.com/docs/000005365

manatee
Level 6

i have a separate (to me it seems separate) /NBU directory where hd backup images are supposed to go before being dedup to tape. however, i found that when /NBU hd space increases, so does my root partition.

/NBU partition have 9TB free space but root partition only have 77GB so i'm worried during backups the root partition gets smaller.

how do i prevent this root from getting smaller during backups? or what's taking up the space during backup?

sdo

If you do:

df -h

...is the /NBU path listed as a separate entitity?

If it is not listed as a separate entity then it is part of the root file system of "/".

Changing this should not be attempted if you have not changed such things before.  My advice would be to get an experienced sys admin at your site to help you plan your change(s).

Marianne
You may want to read up in NBU Admin Guide I about 'parts of NetBackup catalog ' The default installation path for NBU is /usr/openv. If /usr is not a separate filesystem, the it is part of / (root) partition. The image catalog is added to while a backup is running. Always a good idea to install NBU to a separate partition or at least move the image catalog to a different partition. Was any kind of sizing done before NBU was installed? And before Dedupe was implemented? The dedupe partition should have sufficient space to hold at least 2 weeks worth of backups. A partial backup should then not be an issue and will benefit the next backup as most of the data is already stored and only changed blocks will be added during next backup.

manatee
Level 6

sizing was done 3 years ago. but data has grown since then. i'm thinking if i can find out the directories used by catalog, logs, and all those dynamic files i can relocate them to the 9TB partition using symlinks. that way i don't have to reinstall anything.

sdo
How to relocate the images folder: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038245 ...this is usually the largest portion of the catalog. The "images" folders does not contain backup images, it contains the images "files" file(s) for every backup image, hence the folder name of "images".

Marianne
If /NBU is a separate partition used as MSDP diskpool, then you cannot use it for anything else. You will need to request a new lun/disk to relocate images.