cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to erase the data's on the tape

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

For testing I have taken some backups on the otape. I need to delete that backups from the tape.Its showing some mounts on the volume. If I give the quick erase in the GUI, It's thowing error like"bplable on the tape cannot revolk remotely". can any one help me to resolve this? and how can I view the catriage size? and free size of a catriages?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
"I need to delete that backups from the tape.Its showing some mounts on the volume. If I give the quick erase in the GUI, It's throwing error like"bplable on the tape cannot revoke remotely". can any one help me to resolve this? "

Once you write a backup to the tape, NB now keeps track of the fact that you have data on the tape.  This is the stuff you see in the BAR.  NB should not let you just erase a tape when it thinks you have valid backups on it.  (this is for your protection).
What you must do to make the tape a scratch is expire the images on the tape, this will cause NB to remove any reference to images on the tape from its database.
As stated above this can be done with the bpexpdate command

<installdir>/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -m <mediaid> -d 0

This will expire ALL images on the tape making it a scratch tape with no assigned date (it will NOT zero out the mounts on the tape, but you don't need to do that anyway)

and how can I view the cartridge size? and free size of a cartridges?

Also stated above you cannot see how much room is avail on a tape, as compression can very, and you really cannot know  how much room is left.
But you can get an idea by looking at the Tape Lists (in the gui under tape reports)
here run the report for all tapes
in the Status column look for any tape that says FULL and look at kilobytes, this will give you and idea of about how much you can get on a tape.
Now look at your tape in question and you can see about how much you have left -BUT THERE IS A BIG EXCEPTION TO THIS!
If you have many images on a tape and one of the images expires you cannot then write to the empty space of that images.
See my detail explanation on this at this link.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/understanding-how-netbackup-writes-tape

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

david-cict
Level 3
Hello

I don't know if it will anwser your problem but an:
#bpexpdate - d 0 - m ???
???: media id
will expire your tape and put it in scatchpool for re-use.

You can use this same command to expire image on your tape

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
There is no way you can do this, Netbackup doesnt have any natura tape reclamation has TSM does, once an image is in a tape with an specific expiration date, there is no default way you can use it for another backup with different expiration date. If you want to do this you need to specify this setting under the bp.conf (ALLOW_MULT_RET_PER_MEDIA) of the master allowing netbackup to mix images, but will highly recomend you to not use this setting, better let netbackup expire the medias.

About of how tho see the size, use bpmedialist command to get this.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
There is no need of erase the media,

just let the media expire, if U erase it will be as a backup that used the begin to the end of the tape,

just overwrite it up.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
"I need to delete that backups from the tape.Its showing some mounts on the volume. If I give the quick erase in the GUI, It's throwing error like"bplable on the tape cannot revoke remotely". can any one help me to resolve this? "

Once you write a backup to the tape, NB now keeps track of the fact that you have data on the tape.  This is the stuff you see in the BAR.  NB should not let you just erase a tape when it thinks you have valid backups on it.  (this is for your protection).
What you must do to make the tape a scratch is expire the images on the tape, this will cause NB to remove any reference to images on the tape from its database.
As stated above this can be done with the bpexpdate command

<installdir>/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -m <mediaid> -d 0

This will expire ALL images on the tape making it a scratch tape with no assigned date (it will NOT zero out the mounts on the tape, but you don't need to do that anyway)

and how can I view the cartridge size? and free size of a cartridges?

Also stated above you cannot see how much room is avail on a tape, as compression can very, and you really cannot know  how much room is left.
But you can get an idea by looking at the Tape Lists (in the gui under tape reports)
here run the report for all tapes
in the Status column look for any tape that says FULL and look at kilobytes, this will give you and idea of about how much you can get on a tape.
Now look at your tape in question and you can see about how much you have left -BUT THERE IS A BIG EXCEPTION TO THIS!
If you have many images on a tape and one of the images expires you cannot then write to the empty space of that images.
See my detail explanation on this at this link.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/understanding-how-netbackup-writes-tape

Carlos_V
Level 6
Yes, you only need to bpexpdate command:

bpexpdate -m <number of tape> -d 0
    or
You need to expired an especific image use:

bpexpdate -backupid <number of backupid> -d 0

Regards

Will_Restore
Level 6
"bplabel on host cannot be invoked remotely"

Try running the CLI command on the media server that owns the tape.