Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to present NFS datastores to backup host

1501SV
Level 4
Partner

Hi all,

I have a media server configured as backup host. how can I add my NFS data stores to the backup host to use for my Netbackup for VMware

Should they be simply mounted ?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

when you the NFS data stores.. if I am not wrong.. you need to go with NBD or Hotadd transport methods..

where the data store does not needs to present to the backup host.

try to make use of NBD or hot add transport methods..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

when you the NFS data stores.. if I am not wrong.. you need to go with NBD or Hotadd transport methods..

where the data store does not needs to present to the backup host.

try to make use of NBD or hot add transport methods..

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Also when using nfs mount points as disk storage units on NetBackup, it must be mounted with 'nolock' option to enable multiple streams to access the mount point. By default nfs locks the file system when another process is accessing it.as mentioned in TECH158872

Also Check out this doc:
Restrictions and best practice when using NFS presented storage for Disk Storage Units. TECH74087

1501SV
Level 4
Partner

we are not using NFS disk storage units. I am NFS data stores presented to the ESX/ESXi environment which needs to be backed upto my MSDP disk storage which is on SAN (connected and presented to the media server as per NBU guidelines)

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

AHH right, sorry I totally misread your post!. What was posted before me is correct. The most efficient backup method for NFS based data stores (e.g. NetApp or FileStore providing VM storage) is Hot-add Transport. Else you would use NBD.

Take a look at this great blog that talks about the pros and cons to the transport methods:

Nuts and bolts in NetBackup for VMware: Transport methods and TCP ports