cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to reconfigure MSDP pool

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Hi all.. had to reinstall a media server OS, and have some lingering issues..

I can communicate with the media server, can run back up jobs directly to tape, however, I continue to get the '2074 / disk pool down' error.. Tried changing the state to 'UP', tried resetting, still says down.

After reinstalling a media server OS, I was advised to reconfigure the storage. Through the GUI, it seems like there's only options to add a new storage device, not reconfigure.

I can 'inventory' this disk pool with no problems. However, under 'storage servers' - if you double click on a working media server and click over to 'properties' and compare it to this server in question, I can see issues - namely, the ONLY values listed are for spalogretention / verboselevel .....storagepath and such are all empty.

Is this why I cannot get the deduplication services started on my media server? I worked with symantec today, and they advised reinstalling NB on the media server and moving back down a patch (I had 7.5.0.6 installed on first reinstall, but 7.5.0.4 on master / remaining media servers).

7.5.0.4 did not fix the issue, getting errors still even when I try to manually start the dedup services ....any help?

-Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

To reconfigure MSDP, you need to follow the steps described in NetBackup 7.5 Deduplication Guide page 207 - "Replacing the deduplication storage server host computer". In general, you need to newly configure MSDP with same hostname, same storage path. Please note that you need to keep contents of storage path while OS reconfiguration. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5187

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lovethatcheese
Level 5

To add, if it's helpful -

C:\PROGRA~1\Veritas\pdde>spad --trace
Warning: 22: _dctPathGetEtcA: Could not read value. Defaulting to ''
Error: 22: _dctPathAddA: invalid NULL parameter
Error: 2: Cannot find path to pdregistry.cfg
Warning: 2: __openReaderA: could not open file C:\Program Files\Veritas\pdde\
Error: 2: InifileValueExistsA: cannot find inifile contents
Warning: 25022: _dctPathGetEtcA: Could not read value. Defaulting to ''
Error: 25022: _dctPathAddA: invalid NULL parameter
Error: 25002:
BadValue : (none)
File     : C:\Program Files\Veritas\pdde\
Section  : Symantec\PureDisk\ContentRouter
Entry    : ConfigFilePath
Reason   : Empty or missing configuration directive, file not found or access de
nied.
Error: 26016: Symantec PureDisk Storage Pool Authority: Initialization failure.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

To reconfigure MSDP, you need to follow the steps described in NetBackup 7.5 Deduplication Guide page 207 - "Replacing the deduplication storage server host computer". In general, you need to newly configure MSDP with same hostname, same storage path. Please note that you need to keep contents of storage path while OS reconfiguration. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5187

lovethatcheese
Level 5

"keep contents of the storage path" - are you referring to not touching the directory where I have current images? Or just keeping the same drive letter?

I have all backups going to an attached SAN, and don't want to lose any of these images..in reading the tech note you provided, it seems fairly straight-forward...keeping my fingers crossed and going to give it a whirl!