cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to replicate backup image from one NBU domain to the other?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

I am having a question on how to replicate a backup image which was written initially to tape, than duplicated to MSDP - no SLP was used to create this one - from one NBU domain to the other.

On source domain once this backup was duplicate from tape to MSDP - I did manage to replicate it to remote NBU domain - but there it did fail with the following:

Error bpimport (pid=8515) Import of replica image, backup id server_1451935436, Import failed because the imported image data class is different than the SLP data class.

Do you have any ideas? 

The problem I am facing is that this backup image was written to LTO3 media type, on new domain there is only LTO7 so can't import it there - and we can't connect old library to new server due to SCSI interface being not available on new one. So I though I will duplicate it to MSDP on old one and form there will replicate to remote new domain. But it does fail on import step...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have not tried to replicate existing images, but it is at my todo list.

try to use -rcn 102  or not use at all the -rcn ,the -slp_name and -target_sts (I suppose that you have only two masters)
I also suppose that new backups are replicated successfully using AIR
check these links:
https://annurkarthik.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/command-to-start-manual-replication-of-images-to-remot...
https://www.shkonda.online/index.php/2020/05/23/netbackup-auto-image-replication-air/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC9WKCJtECg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

StefanosM
Level 6

How do you replicate the backup image from one MSDP to the Other?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

Well I did create a 'fake' SLP which goes like this on source:

Name: OLD_2_NEW
Data Classification: Platinum
Duplication Job Priority: 0
State: active
Version: 0
Operation 1 Use for: 0 (backup)
Storage: stu_disk_mspdserver
Volume Pool: (none specified)
Server Group: (none specified)
Retention Type: 0 (Fixed)
Retention Level: 3 (1 month)
Alternate Read Server: (none specified)
Preserve Multiplexing: false
Enable Automatic Remote Import: true
Source: 0 (client)
Operation ID: (none specified)
Operation Index: 1
Window Name: --
Window Close Option: --
Deferred Duplication: no
Operation 2 Use for: 3 (replication to remote master)
Storage: *Remote*Master*:OLD_2_NEW
Retention Type: 0 (Fixed)
Retention Level: 8 (1 year)
Enable Automatic Remote Import: false
Source: Operation 1 (backup:stu_disk_mspdserver)
Operation Index: 2
Target Master Server: newmspdserver
Target Import SLP: OLD_2_NEW
Source Volume(Server:Type:Volume): "mspdserver:PureDisk:PureDiskVolume"
--> Target Volume: "newmspdserver:PureDisk:PureDiskVolume"
Window Name: Default_24x7_Window
Window Close Option: SFN

And like that on target:

Name: OLD_2_NEW
Data Classification: Platinum
Duplication Job Priority: 0
Version: 0
Operation 1 Use for: 4 (import)
Import Priority: -1
Storage: stu_disk_newmsdpserver
Retention Type: 3 (Remote (Imported) Expiration Date)
Retention Level: Not Used (remote expiration)
Enable Automatic Remote Import: false
Source: 0 (client)
Operation Index: 1
Window Name: Default_24x7_Window
Window Close Option: SFN

Ofc trust was established prior that...

Than I did find my current MSPD backup images on oldmspdserver and replicated these to new domain with this command:

nbreplicate -Bidfile bidfile2 -cn 2 -rcn 101 -slp_name OLD_2_NEW -target_sts newmsdpserver

so this worked for SLP made backup images (well then the -cn was =1)... but these ones I duplicated to MSPD did fail as these were not using SLP when were created... thus cn=2 as this was secondary copy on msdp.

StefanosM
Level 6

I have not tried to replicate existing images, but it is at my todo list.

try to use -rcn 102  or not use at all the -rcn ,the -slp_name and -target_sts (I suppose that you have only two masters)
I also suppose that new backups are replicated successfully using AIR
check these links:
https://annurkarthik.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/command-to-start-manual-replication-of-images-to-remot...
https://www.shkonda.online/index.php/2020/05/23/netbackup-auto-image-replication-air/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC9WKCJtECg

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

I did try without -rcn and without -slp_name and -target_sts but it did fail after 2,5h of replication on source with 227 EC... earlier tries - the replication on source was successful but the import on target did fail...

any other ideas?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Well I do speak under correction - after checking the target domain I did see one of these images included in bidfile :)

next challenge was to extend the retention period as it was already expired... but I did manage... Now this backup image is being duplicated to tape on LTO7 on new domain ;) and I am fighting with the other backup images... again run the replication...

Azhar4
Level 4

why dont you  manually duplicate the image to the remote storage and import the manually on remote server?

quebek
   VIP    Certified
What do you mean by manually? Am not i doing it manually?

Azhar4
Level 4

you are using nbreplicate and providing slp parameter thereby puttign it under slp control

have you tried by GUI >>Catalog>>search the image >> right click and follow Duplication steps with remote stu?

once done, perform manual image import on remote site

Michal_Mikulik1

@Azhar4 I believe you cannot duplicate to remote stu from GUI\Catalog. Actually this thread is about a replication, not duplication.

@quebek if I understand correctly, it is already resolved? From your nbstl output, I cannot comfortably indicate if the target SLP conform to AIR requirements (see Dedup Guide SLP AIR chapter).

Regards

Michal

Hi @quebek 

The original error relates to the data classification settings. On the source there is none, but you are trying to change it on the target side - remove the data classification tag from the import SLP and try again. 

Cheers
David

Hi @Azhar4 

Using the GUI it is not possible to select an SLP as a duplication target (it would be a nice feature though) and remote STU's are definitely not available locally. 

Cheers
David

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

It did work without the -rcn etc... I am having these bakcup images in the other - new - NBU domain - on MSDP as well on LTO7 already ;)

thanks to all.

@davidmoline it would be nice to have these 'features' better descried and maybe in GUI ;)