cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to run increment catalog recovery based on completed full catalog recovery

FlyMountain
   VIP   

We are on NBU8.2 on RHEL, currently we have a need to recover partial catalog on DR site, the full catalog recovery took 10 hours to complete with 3TB images recovered, then the increment catalog backup on second day is around 40GB, i expected the increment catalog recovery will only stage the NBDB and restore 40GB new images files. But it looks the increment attempt to run full catalog recovery again which is already completed. i only see one set of DR files for increment catalog backups.

How can we fix it? I mean to make the increment catalog recovery only stage the NBDB  and restore new images? should we modify the increment catalog DR file and take out full backup references?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

there is no automatic incremental recovery of the database

But if I ware you, I would

• restore the NBDB database using the command bprecover -r -nbdb
  • restore using a regular file system restore the rest of the image flat files (netbackup/db/images  folder), from the incremental backup

I have never try it. I think that you need to import the tape first. If you are using AIR no import is needed

It is an incremental restore, that's why I suggest to restore only the image directory. If you need to restore all the flat files, restore them to a temp location, stop netbackup and copy them to the right location

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

there is no automatic incremental recovery of the database

But if I ware you, I would

• restore the NBDB database using the command bprecover -r -nbdb
  • restore using a regular file system restore the rest of the image flat files (netbackup/db/images  folder), from the incremental backup

I have never try it. I think that you need to import the tape first. If you are using AIR no import is needed

It is an incremental restore, that's why I suggest to restore only the image directory. If you need to restore all the flat files, restore them to a temp location, stop netbackup and copy them to the right location

Hi @FlyMountain 

I'd go with what @StefanosM is suggesting, you can use the BAR GUI to select the last incremental backup only (backup type is NBU-Catalog), and then restore the various parts you need (I'd grab the entire contents of the catalog backup and restore them back to their original locations on the DR system).

Once the NBDB is restored back to the staging directory, you should be able to shutdown NetBackup and copy the files back into the proper database location. 

I have also not tried this, but see no fundamental reason why it wouldn't work.

Given the size of your catalog, you may want to investigate a better way of keeping your DR master server up to date. 

Cheers
David