cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set up new media to inject in Scratch pool

T_N
Level 6
Hi All,

I have quick question, my system is 6.5.3 running on solaris 10 master server , my library is managed by  ACS server. Anyone know to set  up new media to inject Scratch pool ? I'm using LTO IV tape drive, my media start with ST0000 , thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Open up the same screen you inventory tapes with
click on update volume config then the Advanced options
choose tab barcode rules
New
Barcod tag = ST
Media type = same type as your LTO4 tape drives are setup as
Volume Pool = SCRATCH
OK
ok
Close

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

netbackup_rooki
Level 4
Certified
Barcode rules....

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Open up the same screen you inventory tapes with
click on update volume config then the Advanced options
choose tab barcode rules
New
Barcod tag = ST
Media type = same type as your LTO4 tape drives are setup as
Volume Pool = SCRATCH
OK
ok
Close

T_N
Level 6
Thanks

T_N
Level 6
Hi All,

I have another problem, my tapes are LTO3 (Hcart 3),  tape number start from 002300

I setted up barcod rules:

Barcode tag:  002300L3
media type: hacart 3
volume pool: scratch

When I run Robot Inventory: Update volume configuration
           options:
                   *   Preview changes
                   *   Empty media access port prior to update

but after ran Robot Inventory, tapes are still in CAP

Any idea why ? Thanks.

netbackup_rooki
Level 4
Certified
Hi TN,

is this library also managed by ACS?

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Just to make sure, when you actually run the inventory, you are deselcting the preview changes option, correct?

When you preview, nothing actually changes, it just shows you what will be changed.

T_N
Level 6
no, I dont use ACSLS, I use Dell ML6000 (small library 84 slots), it attachs to NBU. I checked Preview changes &   Empty media access port prior to update, but dont see any changing even I load to library and see tapes are still in CAP

rjrumfelt
Level 6
any operations on these tapes using robtest?

T_N
Level 6
here result after I ran Robot Inventpry
-----
1/4/2010 1:18:05 PM > Inventory & Update for TLD(0) on backup01a
-----
Generating list of recommended changes ...
Proposed Change(s) to Update the Volume Configuration
=====================================================
Volume configuration is up-to-date with robot contents.

Luc_H
Level 3
There are two special barcode rules you can add for just this purpose.

(from page 563 of the 6.5 NetBackup admin guide I for unix)

The following are special barcode rules that can match special characters in the barcode tags:
  • NONE. Matches when rules are used and the volume has an unreadable barcode or the robot does not support barcodes.
  • DEFAULT. For volumes with barcodes, this tag matches when none of the other barcode tags match. However, the following must be compatible: the media type in the DEFAULT rule and the media type on the Media Settings tab
You should always add the DEFAULT tag as the last one in the list, after the CLN tags. With the DEFAULT tag you can have any new media added directly into the Scratch pool. 

We use the NONE tag just above the DEFAULT tag to take media with non-readable barcodes and put them into the NONE pool to be ejected and re-labled later.

I hope this helps,
Luc.

netbackup_rooki
Level 4
Certified
do you have free slots available in the tape library?

Luc_H
Level 3
Barcode Rules and Media ID generation rules only apply to *new* media.

To test these you will either have to add new media or delete some of the unassigned tapes and re-inventory.

If you'd like to change the pool of existing media, you'll have to select the media (they must be unassigned to change pool) and select change. You can then place them in a different pool.

Luc.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
attempt to use robtest and move the tapes from the cap to any free slots without using nbu,

T_N
Level 6
opened case to symantec support, they found the partition setting up in library not correct. but  I don't know why because it worked very well before. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Seems you were just lucky previously in the sense that new tapes were put into cap slots belonging to correct partition.
If you responded to rjrumfelt's robtest question, list members would've been able to tell you something is wrong on the robot side.

I believe that your original question posted 33 weeks ago was answered. Please give credit where it's due and mark the reply that helped you most as solution.

T_N
Level 6
I opened case to symantec support, we found the wrong partition in library. I'm working with DELL support to fix it. I'll update later, thanks.