The problem scenario is as follows:

I have a production site on which a SLP is configured as follows:
Backup --> 1 month
Replication --> 2 days

a SLP with same name is configured on DR site with below details
Import--> target retention (2 days)
Duplication --> 3 months

Now my question is :
I deactivated secondary operation on my DR site SLP and I found that neither Import nor Duplication was running, ideally it should only be duplication that should not be running as import is the first operation and the primary for the DR site SLP.

Netbackup version at both sites is 7.6.0.4

Kindly assist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

In NetBackup parlance the ONLY primary process is backup. Imports, Duplications, and Replications are secondary.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Can you please paste the output of nbstlutil.exe pendimplist

Also on the DR site run following to understand the SLP better nbstl <SLP name> -U

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

What is the logic behind 2 days? You're using deduplicated storage, whether you keep something 2 days or 1 month is not going to be must more. Just seems a bit short.

jai_sachdev
Level 2

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbstl Rockville-Catalog-MSDP -U
Rockville-Catalog-MSDP 10
import                         stu_disk_bus10 Default_24x7_Win Remote (Imported)
 duplication                   bus10dc-hcart2 Default_24x7_Win Fixed

Pendimplist output is attached

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

In NetBackup parlance the ONLY primary process is backup. Imports, Duplications, and Replications are secondary.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Andrew... Thats a good point that you made. I tried to search the same but did not find anything documented. If there are any pointer, it would be nice to have.

jai_sachdev
Level 2

Hi Andrew,

What about snapshot opeartions in case if we are going for replication director ? and yes it will be great if there are any refrences.

jai_sachdev
Level 2

I believe here is that when the Suspend Secondary Operation for an Import SLP, the import job will not occur. The reason is that the Suspend Secondary Operation function cancel job that are submitted by the nbstserv process. SLP that start with backup or snapshot operation are submitted from the nbpem process.