Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing catalogs for DR

PaulStevens
Level 4
Partner

Netbackup 7.7.3

So I have my production environment and a DR environment.  We have previously used the DR environment to do catalog recoveries.

Media ID E00052 is a catalog tape and has been in service since before the last DR, so the DR environment has it in it's emm database.

E00052 was reused in prod for the catalog backups.  So to be clear it has more recent backups on it than the DR environment knows about.

So I attempted to do a bpimport -drfile on that tape, but it failed because E00052 already exists in the DR emm database.  I attempted to vmdelete it so I could import it again, but it cannot delete as assigned volume. 

If i bpexpdate it, i should be able to delete it, but just want to make sure that won't actually write anything to the tape...

So long story short, can I   1. bpexpdate the tape, 2.  vmdelete the tape, then 3.  re-import it to pick up new the DRfile?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why not copy the DR-file from Production?

Ideally you will have email notification configured in Catalog policy.
This email will contain detailed DR recovery procedure as well as DR-file as attachment.

Simply copy/save this DR-file to a folder on the DR master. 
No need to import or recreate the DR-file.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Make sure there are no policies on the DR system that use a tape from the volume pool that the catalog tape belongs to.

Ideally, expire the tape and then add the tape to an unused pool.  It is advisable to write prtect the tape, just to be extra safe.

There is no need to delete the tape, just expire it, and then at that point move it to an unused pool.

There is no need to import the tape, just copy the DR file across from the live system. Of course, if this is not possible, you can import the tape as you have done to recreate the DR file.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why not copy the DR-file from Production?

Ideally you will have email notification configured in Catalog policy.
This email will contain detailed DR recovery procedure as well as DR-file as attachment.

Simply copy/save this DR-file to a folder on the DR master. 
No need to import or recreate the DR-file.

Thank you mph999 and Marianne.

I was able to get the file from my email and put it down at DR.

I have now set it up so it writes the DR files to a file server that gets replicated to DR so they will be readily available.

Experts have already shared their ideas. I just share how do we perform DR.

1. DR Master  master server has been permanently placed and powered Off.

2. Primary Master servers (LUN's) are cloned as R2 Copy, however for the DR Drill we clone the R2 copy to R3 copy and present it to the DR Master servers.

3. Then we break the replication then present it to to DR servers.

4.Unix folks power ON this DR master servers with the R3 cloned LUNs.

5. Data Domain ports have been already configured to reach from the DR network.

6.Pretty much easier.