cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inc backups

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Incremental backups are running against a path that contains files that are copied to this path. A new directory is created to hold these files. A new incremental backup is done after these files were backed up, but they were backed up previously from a different directory. 

NetBackup sees the new directory and will backup the files because the directory is new. When a new directory is created, NetBackup will backup the contents of the directory since it was not backed up in the last backup. This is normal behavior for Netbackup

If i copied the backup files to a newly created directory.then including the directory all the files in it will be backed up in INCR and FULL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

>> If i copied the backup files to a newly created directory.then including the directory all the files in it will be backed up in INCR and FULL

If you copied the backup files to a newly created directory, for example copied /etc/network/ and all its contents to /etc/network2, if you had /etc in a policy and it ran as an incremental schedule, yes everything in /etc/network2 would be backed up. The files are new.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Are you asking a question or making a comment? I recognize a copy & paste from Admin Guide I.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

asking a question.i have doubt in this.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

>> If i copied the backup files to a newly created directory.then including the directory all the files in it will be backed up in INCR and FULL

If you copied the backup files to a newly created directory, for example copied /etc/network/ and all its contents to /etc/network2, if you had /etc in a policy and it ran as an incremental schedule, yes everything in /etc/network2 would be backed up. The files are new.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

100% Proof the Marianne is a walking NetBackup Manual ...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NIKHIL, I want to repeat this request:

When you quote from a manual, please include the name of the manual.
When you quote from an article on the web, please include the URL.

The above will ensure that we are all 'on the same page' - meaning we can see the context and relevance of the section that you are referring to.

Your quote is from this TechNote: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59739 and is about 'Archive bit not being honored properly'. 

Problem

Backups are not working properly when using the Windows archive bit. A file that is to be backed up has the archive bit on, or checked, and once it has been backed up, the archive bit is cleared. Files that do not have the archive bit set are being backed up by Netbackup.

There is a LOT more in the 'Cause' section of the TN as well as a Solution at the bottom of the TechNote.

We are ecstatically happy that you are reading documentation!

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

@revaroo:And if suppose files were already backing up in the previous directory and i have copied those files to new directory,then those files in new directory will be backed up?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes, they are new files, so they would be backed up if the directory you copied them to is included in the file selection in the policy.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

So NBU will treat these as new files? does not matter whether these files are backing up in previous dir.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Nikhil,

It is excellent you are looking in the manuals, we are all very happy  - in fact, we are so happy we threw a party via video link in your honour.

Next step to being a top engineer is to try these things, for example, you could easily copy some files to a new dir, back them up and see what happens, that is what we have to do when we don't know how something works, even backline engineers do this.

However, it is good you are moving in the right direction.

Martin

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Nikhil, why did you change the Solution? I gave you the answer and you marked my response as the answer and now you have changed it? mph999s post above, whilst giving you credit for moving forward in your troublshooting, is not answering the question, so why did you change the solution to that post?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes