Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

include/exclude list

bmaro
Level 4

Netbackup Master AIX 7.6.1.1

Netbackup Client AIX 7.6.1.1

Using an include/exclude list.  The exclude list contains * (to exclude everything)  the include list includes one listing which is a filesystem called

/mydirector/folders-folders also have additional folders within that

/mydirectory/folders*

What we want to happen is for /mydirectory/folders and all directories and files to be backed up-basically everything in /mydirectory/folders and all subdirectories.  Whats happening is we are getting files backed up in /mydirectory/folders but any additional directories within the folders directory is empty when pulling up the restore gui.  Also there are separate file systems within /mydirectory/folders such as /mydirectory/folders/maintenance so 

/mydirectory/folders is a filesystem and /mydirectory/folders/maintenance is a separate filesystem.when the backup runs we are seeing this in detailed status:  Is there a way to get around this so we don't have to specify every directory that is a file system under /mydirectory/folders?  The naming isn't consistent across the 1000s of machines out there except for the /mydirectory/folders which is consistent.  Thanks.

9/02/2015 18:12:06 - Info bpbrm (pid=59251) from client myclient: TRV - [/mydirectory/folders/maintenance] is in a different file system from [/mydirectory/folders]. Skipping

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What file system type is /var/adm/ras/livedump

Can you show us /etc/fstab

Could it be a loop backup file system ? 

It does not sound right Netbackup doesn't follow /var/adm/ras/livedump if cross mount point is selected.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Sounds to me like you may have sym-linked folders.

Why not try a policy/config which encompasses *all* four of the following characteristics:

1) Not excluding anything - i.e. no "exclude list" entries

2) Not including anything - i.e. no "include list" entries

3) Specify the one high level (or root of tree) path in the backup policy "selection list"

4) Select to follow/cross mount-points.

....which should save the entire folder tree no matter where the sub-components reside.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Makre sure "cross mount points" is checkmarked in the policy if multiple file system are mounted under /mydirector

Be aware of symbolic links. Netbackup backup the link, but does not follow it. You need to find the data where its residing orginally.

bmaro
Level 4

Thanks Guys appreciate the help.  I tried with and without cross mount points selected and I get the same result which is odd.  Here is another example:

Filesystems:

/var

/var/adm/ras/livedump

If I just have /var* or /var in my include list, on my backup with all local drives selected I get all files and directories up to livedump but nothing in livedump whether or not cross mount points is selected.  I get the Skipping directory message.  If I include /var and /var/adm/ras/livedump in my incldue list with/without selecting cross mount points I get everything including livedump.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but different filesystems are constantly being created under /var and unfortunately they don't want the entire server backed up so were trying to get only certain selections, /var etc.(This is across hundreds of servers, not just one).

bmaro
Level 4

Just to be clear to these aren't sym links, they are separate UNIX filesystems,  Thanks.

bmaro
Level 4

I spoke to Veritas and from what there telling me is if they are separate filesystems/volumes they need to be included in the include list so

/var

/var/adm/ras/livedump would both have to be in the include list regardless of cross mount points.  Thanks for you help.

sdo

because the folders are mounted file systems and not sym-links - then you could just have /var in the backup policy selection list, and then select the "follow mount points" in the backup policy, and then the backup job will walk the entire folder tree including all sub-folders and any mounted file systems at any point at any level below /var.

bmaro
Level 4

Unfortuantely I can't just have /var in the backup selection list as we have hundreds of servers in this particular policy which have slight variations of fs, so I need to use include list on the clients.  Thanks.

sdo
1) Am I right in construing that you have identified that backup jobs do not follow mount points even IF the full mounted-at path is specified in the include list AND the backup policy has "follow mount points" enabled ? 2) Or have you identified that backup jobs do not follow mount points for mounted paths at any point below the path specified in an include list AND the backup policy has "follow mount points" enabled?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What file system type is /var/adm/ras/livedump

Can you show us /etc/fstab

Could it be a loop backup file system ? 

It does not sound right Netbackup doesn't follow /var/adm/ras/livedump if cross mount point is selected.