cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventory robot misspath

greatashkan
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I have problem with inventory robot on NBU 8.1.1. 

We have a master server and three media server. I was changing one of the media servers because of the slow tape write ratio. There is two HBA card with four path two four drives, each ahve asigned to one drive.

Now When we add the robot in robot section, after some time the robotic path shows "MISSING-PATH". I add the drives normally and at the same time I have problem wiht SLP policies. They do not start them and stuck at "begin reading" or "started process bpdm (pid=XXXX)". 

I have removed and added robots and drives alot and have changed the pathes physically with different fiber cables. 

Thanks for any giude.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I was hoping to see the robot in scan output, but you only showed one tape drive?

If you are 100% sure that all devices are seen correctly, then best to completely reconfigure all devices to reflect updated device paths.

Delete all devices on all media servers.
Run device config wizard and only select the RCH. Allow to complete the process and restart services.
Run the wizard again and now select RCH and other media servers.
All device paths should now be correct.

To know why drives go DOWN, add
VERBOSE
to vm.conf on all media servers and restart NBU Device Manager. (You can add VERBOSE before you re-config devices.)
When drive is DOWN'ed, the reason will be logged in Event Viewer Application log on the media server where drive was DOWN'ed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Only one media server can be the Robot Control Host.
You need to determine which media server is RCH and then confirm that the robot path is seen at OS-level.

Please run 'scan' command (in .....volmgr/bin directory) on RCH.

Do you see the tape library?

The scan.exe on media server shows the tapes and the changer. 

###

To add the last reply I have to say that the tdltest.exe -r command works successfully and the robtest.exe command either shows the robot.

Marianne
I was hoping to see the robot in scan output, but you only showed one tape drive?

If you are 100% sure that all devices are seen correctly, then best to completely reconfigure all devices to reflect updated device paths.

Delete all devices on all media servers.
Run device config wizard and only select the RCH. Allow to complete the process and restart services.
Run the wizard again and now select RCH and other media servers.
All device paths should now be correct.

To know why drives go DOWN, add
VERBOSE
to vm.conf on all media servers and restart NBU Device Manager. (You can add VERBOSE before you re-config devices.)
When drive is DOWN'ed, the reason will be logged in Event Viewer Application log on the media server where drive was DOWN'ed.

The devices are seen correctly. Sorry i didn't copied al the scan output. I didn't want to be messy. 
I am trying to reconfigure the device as you said. I will follow up with you later. Thanks.

Thanks to Marianne we did it successfully. 

We were adding the drives and robot manually and we never thought about adding through the wizard. 

But after adding by wizard it make the drive and robot up successfully. But I don't know why manuall adding gave me trouble.