cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this how to suspend SLP jobs?

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

i only have two tape drives and both are in use by dedup jobs. i also have a restore job that is in waiting.

in order to give priority to the restore job, i cancelled the currently running dedup jobs, suspended the secondary operations on SLP, and restarted the restore operation.

question, is this the proper way to "suspend" dedups jobs? i read somewhere that cancelled dedup jobs will persist and will continue until they are done.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Your process was correct. You cancelled the job in Activity Monitor and then suspended the SLP. When you activate the SLP again, the cancelled job will be resubmitted.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Suspending an SLP is different to cancelling an SLP.

Cancel has two meanings in NetBackup - one meaning for active jobs, another meaning for SLP policies/definitions.

Cancelling an active job in activity monitor, is actually an abort that active job - it is not a suspend of an SLP, and it is not a cancel of an SLP - it is simply an abort of a job.

An un-suspended SLP will re-submit an aborted duplication job.

Whereas 'cancelling' and SLP job (at the command line) will cause those SLP jobs to never be re-attempted.

And if an SLP is not suspended, then further SLP duplication jobs can be submitted.

manatee
Level 6

so i effectively terminated the dedup then. is there a way to resume or restart it?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

The images that need duplicating should get rebatched later into another SLP job.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Your process was correct. You cancelled the job in Activity Monitor and then suspended the SLP. When you activate the SLP again, the cancelled job will be resubmitted.