cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kb3042553 http.sys patch and sql cluster node and failed backups

jim_dalton
Level 6

Running 7601 on solaris and my windows guy patched a bunch of nodes as per subject.

All backups continued fine apart from sql cluster nodes and they fail with error 50.

The issue is related to vss. If I disable snapshot the backup completes, but we rather want vss.

And our results indicate it only affects clustered sql, we have single nodes running sql tha are unaffected.

Anyone else encountered/fixed?

Thanks in advance,Jim

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is this SQL agent backups failing or MS-Windows?

Have SQL dba's tried built-in SQL backup to disk?
My guess is that it will fail as well, right?

Have they logged a call with Microsoft?

jim_dalton
Level 6

This is flat file backup Marianne, not agent...though the agent nodes are scheduled to be patched shortly.

If vss comes into the process then I expect it to fail, though one can create snapshots manually, once one restarts vss, but once one retries netbackup with vss the issue exists. So I toss a coin: I reckon a manual to disk backup might actually work.

My sql dba isnt here to do local backup. My windows guy is reevaluating his patching work...Jim

Marianne
Level 6

Sorry - I know that I am not answering your original question... 

I think I am missing something here - how are you backing up the clustered SQL db's?

What type of data is getting backed up when the job fails with status 50?

jim_dalton
Level 6

Forget the clustered sql dbs Marianne, its an OS backup of clustered nodes.

Unfortunately having backed the patch out, it still doesnt work, which makes things more complex as it looks like the one patch overnight plus reboot may not be the cause after all. Tricky. VSS definitely in the picture tho still. Jim

jim_dalton
Level 6

Narrowed down to vss of sysstate/shadowcomponents. With normal filesystems netbackup works fine.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Bpfis log shows this:

Thread id - 2992> VSS API ERROR:- API [StartSnapshotSet] return val = 80042316 [VSS_E_SNAPSHOT_SET_IN_PROGRESS]

endlessly ...it tries and tries and yes it tries again. Cycle 180 and counting.

Marianne
Level 6

Have you opened a call with Microsoft? 

You may also want to go through this recent post:

System state backup failing - error 50