cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

libstation

GSH
Level 3

Hi All,

I am wondering if anybody here is using libstation to control the robot from Netbackup.

I have an existing environment with a partitioned SL8500 library and I am tasked with configuring Netbackup to do tape out.

So Netbackup would see the robot via libstation on the mainframe. Libstation talks to HSC and HSC talks to the robot and vice versa.

So far I have run into two problems.

1) I don't see a way to tell Netbackup in the robot configuration which partition of the SL8500 libstation is supposed to talk to. The result is that it always goes to ACS01. It  also needs to talk to ACS02.

2) Libstation is moved from one mainframe to another for mainframe reboots. Since I use the FQDN of the mainframe to configure the robot how would I deal with the libstation moving to another mainframe? Setting up a storage group does not work because I am planning on using Vault and Vault is tied to the robot not the storage group. So far the suggestion I got was to reconfigure the robot (and tape drives) everytime libstation moves. That is not something I want to do in the long run.

Any input appreciated!

Thank you

Gabriela

Solution for the issue 1)

Netbackup doesn't configure the partition number of the library in the robot. It uses the ACS number from the tape drive configuration to decide to which ACS (library partition) to talk to when doing an inventory. So if your drives are set up correctly the robot inventory works fine. If there is an issue with the drive configuration the inventory might go the the wrong ACS #.

13 REPLIES 13

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I tried to find out libstation  in the Netbackup compatibility guide and could not find it. I believe libstation is like ACSLS.... Though ACSLS is supported with Netbackup.

Please check the latest guide

https://symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/SOLUTIONS/76000/TECH76495/en_US/nbu_76_hcl.pdf?__gda__=1439098094_72a3ec686ecfbb141a3dff9a67a98855

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: Two ACS or two LSM's ?

How many robots have you configured in Netbackup - on or two. Can you post a screen dump ?

2: Talk to Oracle, they sould be able to answer.

I found this in the StorageTek LibraryStation Configuration and Administration Guide page 10 (page 30 counting PDF pages).

System Redundancy Options

For system redundancy in the event of a failure on the MVS host system from which LibraryStation is normally executed, LibraryStation software can be made available to more than one MVS host system attached to the same Nearline ACS library complex. If the HSC host system fails in this scenario, LibraryStation can be automatically initialized on an alternate host system via a host communication request. Or, LibraryStation can be manually initialized from an alternate host system using the LibraryStation LS INit operator command. See the HOSTID and DEFER parameters in “Configuring the LSINIT Control Statement” on page 41. LibraryStation software can be made available to multiple hosts either by installing it directly on each host or by installing it on DASD that is shared among the hosts. However, each host that will be capable of initializing LibraryStation must also have the HSC, a communications subsystem, and a network interface adaptor installed. The initializing hosts must also access a common PARMLIB data set. 

GSH
Level 3

I can't access the link you supplied - is that an internal link?

GSH
Level 3

Nicolai, thank you for your reply. I have two different Netbackup systems. They actually are appliances, but that shouldn't matter. One is supposed to use the first partition - the other is supposed to use the second partition. So on each NBU I want to only see one library.

I have a screenshot attached with the configuration. You might think that the Robot number is the partition number but it isn't so. No matter what Robot number I enter I always see the tapes from the first partition when I do a robot inventory. There is really not that much to configure as you can see.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Sorry I was knowledge writing - take a screen shot from 

Media and Device Management -> Devices - Robots -> double click - Screen dump

If you can see tapes from the other partitions, it must be a configuration issues. HSC/ACSLS normally provides excellent segregation of tape/drive access.

I use ACSLS and not HSC, when speaking about thease feature it's in the view using ACSLS.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I look at Nicolai's post over here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/libstation#comment-11287091  you need to speak to Oracle.

You need to ask them how to config access from 3rd-party backup software with Library Station failover.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You may also consider not using partition and switch to ACSLS volume access control. I use this for sharing two SL8500 between 6-8 diffrent Netbackup domains. 

http://www.mass.dk/netbackup-guides/acsls-volume-access-control/

Once configured Netbackup domain A can't see tapes from Netbackup domain, using the same ACS,LSM. And there is no limitation on slots and drives.

On HSC this is configured diffrent, but I am pretty sure the feature exists.

GSH
Level 3

Nicolai, I am not quiet following there what you mean with double click and screen dump.

Under Media and Device Management -> Devices - Robots I see the robot I configured - see my previous screenshot.

When I do an inventory on that robot I see the tapes which are present in the first partition of the library. The only thing I can change in the configuration is the robot number. And no matter what I make that - inventory always shows the tapes of the first partition.

I have another location using ACSLS and it works like a charm. I am starting to think that there needs to be some configuration in libstation which takes me to the second partition when I come in from that particular box and that is missing.

GSH
Level 3

Thank you Marianne - I have contacted Oracle and so far haven't gotten anything useful back. This seems a really exotic configuration.

Marianne
Level 6
The problem with HSC and Library Station is that hardly anyone at Oracle will have any knowledge or experience. This is a legacy configuration from long before Oracle bought SUN. And long before SUN bought StorageTek. I used to work for a company who were STK and Veritas resellers. During this period we only had one customer using NBU with HSC and Library Station. This was at least 15 years ago and only for a short while until a separate library was purchased for 'open systems ' controlled by ACSLS.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure you still need it, but try the Attachments links from here:

NetBackup 7.0 - 7.6.x Hardware Compatibility List
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH76495

...and this one, just in case you've upgraded :)

NetBackup 7.7 - 7.7.x Hardware Compatibility List
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH230330

Marianne
Level 6
There is nothing in HCL about Library Station. The only mention I can find is in the Device Config Guide but nothing that could help in this instance.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You may consider to switch from HSC to ACSLS if you can persuade the mainframe guys.