cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

long erase dialog box default media server name

James_Morrill
Level 3

When I upgraded our Solaris 10 servers to NBU 7.1 the default host name in the dialog box for erasing tapes changed to a media server that doesn't have any tape drives on it.  Can I change that default host name back to a media server that will erase tapes (so I don't have to change it every time I try to erase tapes)?

10 REPLIES 10

Symontec
Level 5

James,

When you see the media owner in the  NetBackup Administration Console, select Media and Device
  Management > Media.

• In the Volumes list, select the volume that you want to change.
  • Select Actions > Change Media Owner.
  • In the Media Owner field, what hostname do you see? The old one or the new one?

Wait for your comments.

James_Morrill
Level 3

That worked to change the media owner, but didn't help in my case - once the media is expired (which is when I erase the tapes) the media owner reverts back to NONE again.  When I try to erase the tape, the default host name to use to do that is a media server that doesn't have access to the drives.

Symontec
Level 5

Ok, I'm just copying an extract of another forum:

Reinitialize the tapes

1. bpexpdate -m XXXXX -d 0 -force

2. nbemmcmd -deletemedia -mediaid XXXXX -originhost NONE

3. Inventory the robot

4. bplabel -m XXXXXX -d <density> -host <media server >

Let me know if this helps.

Original post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/odd-incorrect-media-found-drive-index

James_Morrill
Level 3

I appreciate your efforts but you are trying to solve way more of a problem than I have.  All I want to know is if the default name, in the long erase dialog box, can be changed.

SAF
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

James did you solve this?

I think that it reinitialize tapes should work on your issue.

James_Morrill
Level 3

Sorry - I've been gone for a while. No, didn't find a solution. I'm sure there's some file that tells the admin console (GUI) what media server name to use in this dialog box, but I haven't found it yet - or been able to describe what I'm asking.

When I try to erase a tape, it pops up a dialog box that has a media server name in it.  the default it's using, now that I upgraded to 7.1, is a media server that only controls a tape library, not any of the drives in that library (so it can't erase the tapes).  I have to backspace over that default name and type in one of the other media servers that do access the drives and I'd like to find where to change that default name.

Symontec
Level 5

Any luck on this?

James_Morrill
Level 3

Nope

Symontec
Level 5

Hi James, I just wanted to know if you solve this?

SAF
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi James,

Try this command nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname> that have been introduced recently in NetBackup.

Please read this note and let us know if it helps you: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Regards.