cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mass client creations

quasimodem
Level 2
I'm looking at moving about 10,000 active clients from Legato to Netbackup 6.5.3 and wanting to know if there is anyway to script the client creation process?

Also, some advice.... with say 5000 - 6000 clients per data center, is it best practice to have 1 policy per client or will that become out of control?

What would the maximum amount of clients be per a "Netbackup Domain" (yes i know that depends on hardware) but what kind of Sun Server would it take to process that kind of load?)

any help, advice or prayers for good luck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

Marty

7 REPLIES 7

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Some people are firm believers in one client one policy.

Some do policies per type, exchange gets it own, databases get their own, some put 2003 servers in one policy and 2008 servers in a different policy.

Me, few policies the better - most are general, oracle, informix, exchange, aix, windows.
Some are special - where I only backup 1 dir at a specific time.

It is what is best for you.

Now if you do few policies then you could do a script to add 200 or so client names to a policy.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Check your legacy backups to see if there are window limitations due to db availability, batch jobs, etc. and follow the historical pattern.
Strangely enough, I believe the more Netbackup clients, the more the need to do individual policy per client.
When your talking about a data center there will be requests every day to temporarily stop backups on certain clients.
Remember to do whatever full bakups you can during the weeknights so that they all won't be stuffed into the weekend.
S-T-A-N-D-A-R-D-I-Z-A-T-I-O-N is essential for your success.

Please read this article.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT NETBACKUP 6.5?
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/what-do-you-know-about-netbackup-65

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
good link - I had not read that one.

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
Once you figure out which clients are going to end up in which policies (one-to-one, one-to-many, etc) :

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bppolicynew - creates/copies policies

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplinfo - sets/modifies policy attributes (i.e. checkpointing)

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplsched - adds/deletes schedules to/in a policy

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients - adds/deletes/modifies clients to/in a policy

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplinclude - adds/deletes/modifies File Lists to/in a policy

All the really fun commands live in that directory, exploring is totally worth it. =) 

As far as scripting this goes, I would recommend getting your policies and schedules straightened out first and worry about putting clients in later. Use bppolicynew to make as many copies of your policies as you can get away with to save time.

Good luck with the migration.

Stumpr2
Level 6

sigh.....

media servers
volume pools
storage units
multistreaming
multiplexing
multiple copies
bpstart_notify
bpend_notify
exclude_list.POLICY.SCHEDULE
differential or cumulative
calendar or frquency
DATA_SIZE_BUFFERS
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
NET_BUFFER_SZ
....arrrrg

Your setting up a datacenter so bite the bullet and hire a Netbackup contractor.
...When do I start? ....JUST KIDDING!!!

I got a job already :)

quasimodem
Level 2
if there isn't a speedy way to add 10,000 clients, i might need to hire typists instead of consultants, contractors, and administrators.

i know i don't want to try and add 100 clients a day for the next 4 months.

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
Given that you've got 10,000 clients to do software installs on, as well as figuring out what the Legato backup policies should look like in NetBackup anyway, frankly you've already GOT 4 months of work ahead of you. If you're lucky. =) 

Oh, and half way through your installations Symantec will probably release a software update to NetBackup. <grin>