cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

master server moving from AIX to RHEL

psvines
Level 3

Our NBU 7.1.0.4 master server will be moving to RHEL in the near future, to allow us to upgrade to 7.7+.

Our libraries are Quantum i6000, fiber attached to multiple media servers.

Question, will the new RHEL master server require an HBA to control the tape library? Or can it be controlled via LAN?

It will not be a media server.

Does the RHEL need to be a stand alone server or could it reside within a VM environment?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

5 REPLIES 5

Shaf
Level 6

Hey

Question, will be new RHEL master server require an HBA to control the tape library? Or can it be controlled via LAN?

--> according to me you required HBA for RHEL master server, as tapes drives will be zoned on fiber card

Does the RHEL need to be a stand alone server or could it reside within a VM environment?

--> Yes RHEL master server can reside on a VM, but there are alot of limitations for a vm master server like you cannot attached library, drives and robot to a virtual master server.

but you can do like, make master server as VM, but media server as a physical so that you can attached devices

ere is the pros and cons virtual vs physical master server, hope it helps

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/physical-...

psvines
Level 3

The media servers will remain AIX and continue to move client data via fiber to the tape library.

The media servers can't control the tape library because we are dependent on the "ovpass" driver, which Veritas has dropped support on in the 7.5 version.

My concern is whether or not the RHEL master needs a fiber connection just to control the tape library.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes. The Linux master will need fiber hba in order to control the Quantum tape library. Best to look on Quantum website for i6000 documentation or speak to your hardware support vendor.

psvines
Level 3

Thanks Marianne.

We will speak to both Veritas and Quantum, but like to first get advice from the "experts".

psvines
Level 3

We're trying to size the Dell hardware for our new RHEL NBU master server. Naturally, Veritas wants consulting fees to help...

Anyway, current master/media is AIX on Power, 1 processor/4 virtual processors/16 logical processors via SMT4.   32Gb memory.

The RHEL master will only be a master, supporting 3 media servers on AIX.

100 clients. Full OS weekly, incremental daily.

43Tb estimated data under management.

100-200 backup jobs each day.

2 tape libraries, 1 with 8 LTO5 drives, 1 with 1 LTO5 drive.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.