cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

master server

nike_new
Level 6

Hi ALL,

I need to create a mater server for my backups in a cluster.

Server is Linux server.

I have followed.

NetBackup Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide 

Can anybody provide me with some steps.

1. First master server software is installed or cluster software?
  2. what needs to be done on the adjacant node and what about the virtual node.
  3. Cluster software needs to be installed explicitely?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

So cluster needs to be installed first and then master server installation then?

Yes., its just not installation, you need to configure the cluster., you have to be very well Planned about the all the resouce config and all.

there is a lot of desing and Panning required.. , as everyone in this forums saying.. 

Inmaster server installation ,it will ask for cluster name?correct?

yes, you have to provide the cluster name when it ask for hte Netbackup master server name.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RamNagalla

hi,

before staring the installtion.. make sure that you have the below prerequisites

admin guide has the detail info about the cluster master server.. please check and let us know if you stuck while doing the installation..

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5184

Verify that VCS and NetBackup Enterprise Server 7.5 support your hardware.

For a list of supported storage devices, visit the following Web site:
http://entsupport.symantec.com
■ Verify that the supported version of VCS is correctly installed and configured
on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, or Linux. Follow the steps in the Veritas Cluster Server
Installation Guide.
■ Verify that no VCS resource group and resource exist with the same name as
the one you intend to use for NetBackup.
■ Make sure that the shared disk is configured and accessible to all cluster nodes
where you want to install NetBackup. Also, verify that you can mount the disk.
■ Verify that you have an IP address (virtual IP) and a host name (virtual name)
to assign to the NetBackup resource in VCS. Use these only for the NetBackup
resource.
Also, ping the IP address and verify that the IP address is not plumbed.
For VCS-UNIX, IP address of the Nodes and Virtual Name must be of same type
(IPv6 or IPv4).
With this release IPv6 is supported with NetBackup.
See “About NetBackup's IPv6 support” on page 97.
■ Make sure that each node in the cluster, where you want to install NetBackup,
is RSH equivalent (On HP Service Guard the command is remsh). As the root
user you must be able to perform a remote logon to each node in the cluster
without entering a password. This configuration is only necessary for
installation, upgrades, and configuration of the NetBackup server and any
NetBackup database agents and options. After installation and configuration
are complete RSH can be disabled.

Note: Node IP type must be same as virtual IP type.
■ For a clustered NetBackup master server, if the master server is the robotic
control host, physically connect the robotic devices and tape devices to each
node where you want to install NetBackup. Connect devices by SCSI or Fibre
Channel. Use OS commands to verify that all the devices are connected
properly. Refer to the Symantec NetBackup Device Configuration Guide.
■ Verify that you have the NetBackup

Note: NetBackup automatically detects supported clustering technology and
prompts questions based on it. If you are not prompted for these questions on a
clustered setup, please exit from the script and verify that cluster is configured
correctly. Refer to the cluster guide for details on how to verify the cluster setup.

nike_new
Level 6

I wll install NBU 7.1

nike_new
Level 6

So First master server software is installed or cluster software? or no need for installing explicitely the cluster software.It will ask in master server installation?

RamNagalla

Cluster has to be installed and configured  first on all nodes.

did you read my previous post prerequisites

■ Verify that the supported version of VCS is correctly installed and configured
on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, or Linux. Follow the steps in the Veritas Cluster Server
Installation Guide.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PLEASE DON'T TRY if you are NOT familiar with SF/HA as well as NBU installation.
There are many resellers around who have specialized in SF/HA and NBU installation and configuration.

Firstly - WHY 7.1? Symantec has been issuing 7.5 licenses for new installations for almost a year now.

The  NBU 7.1 Clustered Master Server Admin Guide is basically the same as the 7.5 one.  
Please note that only NEW installations can be clustered - existing master servers cannot be converted to clustered server unless you have assistance from Symantec Consulting partner.

Please read through this post as well: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/installation-nbu-7-fails-vcs-cluster-5#comment-813350...

SF/HA documentation can be found here: https://sort.symantec.com/documentation 
Scroll down to Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability and find the combination for your OS and SF/HA version.

RamNagalla

Excellent Write up Martin.. Totally agree with you... 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No offence intended, but if you are asking questions like this on a forum, I get the idea that you haven't done this before, and probably do not have a detailed system design. You cannot install any backup enviroment by taking it out of the box and pushing buttons. A system build starts with a details system design that covers every single option that you are going to change from its default setting, have you got enough memory in the servers, have you checked this ?, how many media servers you will need. It lists all the policies, and what clients they will contain, what the STUs are, what the volume pools are, what the retentions levels will be for each client, what the media servers are, how many tape drives they will have, what the media id rules are, what the barcode rules are, what tuning settings will be applied to each server, what the os patchs will be on each server, SLP setup if you are going to use it, calculations of the amount of data on the clients, capacity planning - how much more data the clients will have in 1 or 2 years from now, have you made a generous allowance for log space, have you got separate filesystems (or drives) for logs ... you probably get the idea. It is a massive amount of work, days of work in fact, and this is before you have even installed NBU. ..

Any system that is not correctly designed from day one, will fail at some point - a good example, is when people turn on SLP, suddenly they run out of tape drives to do the backups, because they need them for the duplications, why, because the system was never designed for SLP in the first place. Believe it or not, even when I build a test system, I design it first, ok, not quite in the detail above but I certainly don't start installing things until I have made sure the design is correct using pen and paper. A clustered system is even more complex - in the high availabliity guide there is a 'design sheet' that you are meant to fill in - it lists things such as the node names, the ip addresses, the cluster name, the VCS details - have you filled this in ?

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Could a mod remove this please, duplicate post ....  - thx

nike_new
Level 6

@Naga:So cluster needs to be installed first and then master server installation then?

RamNagalla

So cluster needs to be installed first and then master server installation then?

Yes., its just not installation, you need to configure the cluster., you have to be very well Planned about the all the resouce config and all.

there is a lot of desing and Panning required.. , as everyone in this forums saying.. 

yes, you have to provide the cluster name when it ask for hte Netbackup master server name.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can not install a cluster master with a correct detailed design.  If it is incorrectly configured you will have no end of problems and risk data loss.

You have not indicated if you have done the things I sugessted ?

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
"So cluster needs to be installed first and then master server installation then" If you read through Clustered Master server admin guide you will be able to answer this question yourself...