cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max BPTM_VERBOSE setting

GlenG
Level 4

To keep a long story short.  Support (Oracle/Sun) has requested I set BPTM_VERBOSE to 11.  The docs say 5 is the maximum.  Are the docs wrong?  Should I set it to 5?

Environment is Sun X4500 with SL48 tape library and HP FC LTO 4 drives running Solaris 10 u7 and  NetBackup 6.5.4.

Thanks,

GlenG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The question was about bptm logging.

Please note the following from the TN that you provided:

In bp.conf, acceptable levels of VERBOSE range from 0 to 5. The only exception is for NetBackup clients (bpbkar and tar), where acceptable values are from 0 to 11.  A VERBOSE=11 is also valid to display the data transfer in the infxbsa log when troubleshooting Informix performance problems.

This discussion needs to be 'buried'....

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

You are 100% correct - max level is 5.

You found the documentation - please refer them to what you found and ask them for their documentation....

Any particular reason why you are dealing with them and not directly with Symantec?

GlenG
Level 4

Marianne,

My support contract for NetBackup is with Oracle/Sun.  Also, they are working on a problem with Sun hardware - not NetBackup.  I did question them about the setting but did not get a answer.  I'll open an SR under the NetBackup support and ask them to confirm the recommendation.

Thanks for the help,

GlenG

Marianne
Level 6

For hardware troubleshooting, you need to increase Media Manager logging as well.

Add the following line to /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf:

VERBOSE

Restart NBU after adding the line. Media Manager errors will now be logged to /var/adm/messages.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You may have seen the logging level to 10 For Example

Netbackup Troubleshooting Guide , Page # 67

To change the logging level for PBX, enter the following:
pbxcfg -s -l debug_level
where debug_levelis a number from 0 to 10. 10 is the most verbose.

Netbackup best verbose logging

Netbackup Troubleshooting Guide( Page # 125 )

How to run the log analysis utilities:

For best results, set the verbose logging level to 5.

Marianne
Level 6

Please also note in Troubleshooting Guide the difference between Legacy and Unified logs....

■ If you make a change to the VERBOSE level in the bp.conf file, it only affects the legacy logging level.
■ If you make a change with the vxlogcfg command, it only affects the unified logging level.

Also see this topic in Troubleshooting Guide: "How to set legacy logging levels".

Fuzzypig
Level 2

I know that for Informix clients you can be asked to push the VERBOSE setting to 11 ( reminds me of Spinal Tap, LOL! ) to trap debug info used during an Informix backup transfer.

This note shows that Informix transfers can be traced with VERBOSE=11:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH18012

VERBOSE=11 is obviously used for Oracle and seems likely for other DB clients to.

Marianne
Level 6

The question was about bptm logging.

Please note the following from the TN that you provided:

In bp.conf, acceptable levels of VERBOSE range from 0 to 5. The only exception is for NetBackup clients (bpbkar and tar), where acceptable values are from 0 to 11.  A VERBOSE=11 is also valid to display the data transfer in the infxbsa log when troubleshooting Informix performance problems.

This discussion needs to be 'buried'....