cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media mismatch

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

i ran an inventory and i saw tha tapes is in scratch but there is a conflict.

Media id is not matching with the barcode label.

meedia id:NDLA

BARCODE: MCLABL1

What are the steps to corect this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, that is what I was trying to explain.

There is a LOT of mis-understanding about NetBackup and tapedrive / llibraries.

Two of the most important things to remember :

First (before I get shot down ....)  - the following statements are meant to cover 99% of cases ... yes, there might be a bug etc ... but that is a lot lot less likely than some other cause, and as such, based on whatever evidence I see, I would not consider this until the most likey causes are eliminated.

For the record, I have only ever seen 1 case of robtest not working that was caued by NBU, and you are very very unlikely to see this < (and then, only if you have ACSLS).  

1.  Everything you see in robtest is sent from the robot.  If it is wrong it is a fault with the library, not NetBackup.  The ONLY bit of NetBackup that robtest uses is the <device file> to contact the library.

As I mentioned, I wanted you to use robtest to see the barcodes, and then if necessary, configre them via the library.

2.  NetBackup DOES NOT write to tape - ever.  The data is sent from NetBackup to the operating system.  Although NetBackup supplies the buffer size, it is the operating system that carries out the writes (and reads) from tape, as well as positioning.

It is certainly possible however, for NBU to cause tape write fails etc ... as the buffer sizes / number buffers come into play, but these cases are failrly easy to spot.  Out side of this, there are very very few reasons for NBU to cause tape issues.   It is failrly safe to say that :

Errors that mention 'ioctl' 

Anything that mentions TAPEALERT 

ASC/ ASCQ errors

mt 'postion errors'  (eg. MTREW failed)

'External event caued rewind'

... and many more.

This TN  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169477 

was written to attemt to get troubleshooting for various errors (listed in the TN) started in the right place - yes there are exceptions (and the TN mentions some) , but developing good troubleshooting skill means knowing where to start looking.

I would estimate that the vast majority of tape/ library cases I deal with should never have been opened, as the cause is nothing to do with NBU.

Just because NBU reports an error, DOES NOT mean Netbackup CAUSED the error.  

Martin

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The media has a totally different 'media id' than barcode.

NDLA against MCLABL1

The charaters 'LA' are common, but that is all.

... so something quite strange has happened to get that meia id from the barcide (it is possible to susbtitute charaters from the barcode and get strange media ids like this, but not very common).

Anyway, if the tape is blank, and you are sure ...

Relabel it.

Right click the media and select label.

there is a tick box that says something like "verify media label before performing operation", you need to untick this.

This will then cause NBU to overwrite the media label with a new one.  It will use the media ID generation rules to derivie the media ID from the barcode if set.  If not, I think it will take the first 6 characters of the barcode, and use this as the media id.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

if barcode rule is not set then?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What barcode is really on the tape?

See if someone has perhaps added a Media Id generation rule?

NBU will not do something like this automatically. 'Someone' has added this media id - either manually or via Media Id generation rule.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

ok.

How to add barcode generation rule in NBU?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Inventory the robot > Update Volume config then select advanced options button

Then media ID generation tab

You then specify the robot number

The actual length of the barcode as displayed by the robot 

(run rbtest and do s s to see how many charcters in the barcodes)

Then you specify the actual rule

Eg.

1:2:3:4:5:6  -  Would take the first 6 characters of the barcode

So if the barcode is AA1234L4

1:2:3:4:5:6  =  AA1234

3:4:5:6 - 1234L4

.. and so on...

It's all coverd in the manuals.

Martin

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please see NBU Admin Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650

In Chapter 9 you will find these 2 topics:

■ Configuring bar code rules
■ Configuring media ID generation rules

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

This is Configuring media ID generation rules.

CAN U TELL ME THE STEPS OF Configuring bar code rules?

@Martin:What are the steps to create barcode.

I want barcode to be displayed in NBU with only 5 characters.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So if the barcode is AA1234L4

1:2:3:4:5  =  AA123

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

bar code is 8 character by default and media id is 6 character?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

i have to write this in barcode tag?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The barcode is whatever the default of the library is.

It is probably 8, if not set, but I do not know for sure.  The  default media id is the last 6 characters of the barcode.

Before you ask, if the barcode is only 6 characters, or less, the defaultmedia id will be exactly equal to the barcode.

I have given the steps ...  previously ...

Inventory the robot > Update Volume config then select advanced options button

(I think that by default, the 'Advanced Options' button is 'disabled'.  When you select the 'Update volume config' button, it is then possible to select the 'Advanced Options' button.  )

Once you have pressed the 'Advanced Option' button, goto the media ID generation tab

You then specify the robot number

The actual length of the barcode as displayed by the robot 

(run robtest and do s s to see how many charcters in the barcodes)

Then you specify the actual rule

Eg.Iif the barcode is AA1234L4 and you want 5 characters you specify 

1:2:3:4:5  ( =  AA1234 )

If you are not sure, actually go and look in the manuals, it is ALL explained in the NetBackup Admin Guides (part I and II)

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

ok Thanks.

Can anybody tell me how to set barcode?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What is it set to at the moment - look in robtest, run 's s'

Example:

I run robtest, select TLD 0 and then run s s

rdgv240sol22 # robtest
Configured robots with local control supporting test utilities:
  TLD(0)     robotic path = /dev/sg/c0tw2101000d772420c8l0
  TLD(1)     robotic path = /dev/sg/c0tw2103000d77640cc8l0
  TLD(2)     robotic path = rdgf270c-01:mc0

Robot Selection
---------------
  1)  TLD 0
  2)  TLD 1
  3)  TLD 2
  4)  none/quit
Enter choice: 1

Robot selected: TLD(0)   robotic path = /dev/sg/c0tw2101000d772420c8l0

Invoking robotic test utility:
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tldtest -rn 0 -r /dev/sg/c0tw2101000d772420c8l0

Opening /dev/sg/c0tw2101000d772420c8l0
MODE_SENSE complete
Enter tld commands (? returns help information)
s s
slot 1 (addr 1024) contains Cartridge = yes
Source address = 131
Barcode = DE0024
slot 2 (addr 1025) contains Cartridge = yes
Source address = 128
Barcode = DE0173

We see some slots, and the library shows the barcode of 6 characters.

If you wish to change this, you need to consult with the library support people, it will be a setting somewhere on the library, but exactly how you do it is different across different makes and models.

BUT ...

Why do you want to change it, is it not ok as it is.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

thanks martin.

I got my answer.

We cannot do barcode change from NBU console.It is done by library support people.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, that is what I was trying to explain.

There is a LOT of mis-understanding about NetBackup and tapedrive / llibraries.

Two of the most important things to remember :

First (before I get shot down ....)  - the following statements are meant to cover 99% of cases ... yes, there might be a bug etc ... but that is a lot lot less likely than some other cause, and as such, based on whatever evidence I see, I would not consider this until the most likey causes are eliminated.

For the record, I have only ever seen 1 case of robtest not working that was caued by NBU, and you are very very unlikely to see this < (and then, only if you have ACSLS).  

1.  Everything you see in robtest is sent from the robot.  If it is wrong it is a fault with the library, not NetBackup.  The ONLY bit of NetBackup that robtest uses is the <device file> to contact the library.

As I mentioned, I wanted you to use robtest to see the barcodes, and then if necessary, configre them via the library.

2.  NetBackup DOES NOT write to tape - ever.  The data is sent from NetBackup to the operating system.  Although NetBackup supplies the buffer size, it is the operating system that carries out the writes (and reads) from tape, as well as positioning.

It is certainly possible however, for NBU to cause tape write fails etc ... as the buffer sizes / number buffers come into play, but these cases are failrly easy to spot.  Out side of this, there are very very few reasons for NBU to cause tape issues.   It is failrly safe to say that :

Errors that mention 'ioctl' 

Anything that mentions TAPEALERT 

ASC/ ASCQ errors

mt 'postion errors'  (eg. MTREW failed)

'External event caued rewind'

... and many more.

This TN  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169477 

was written to attemt to get troubleshooting for various errors (listed in the TN) started in the right place - yes there are exceptions (and the TN mentions some) , but developing good troubleshooting skill means knowing where to start looking.

I would estimate that the vast majority of tape/ library cases I deal with should never have been opened, as the cause is nothing to do with NBU.

Just because NBU reports an error, DOES NOT mean Netbackup CAUSED the error.  

Martin