cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media server is down for some patching

Andy2345
Level 6

Hi ALL.

One of my media server is down for patching.

I need to make this offline.

I came for below conclusion:

Deactivate the media server on the Master server by running  

vmoprcmd -deactive_host -h <media_servername>

nbemmcmd -updatehost -machinename <media_servername> -machinestateop set_admin_pause -machinetype media -masterserver <master_server> 

But i just wanna know what all both command will do?

Is command 1 enough for making media server offline?

Why command 2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Correct.

I will agree, it is not too obvious that the vmoprcmd command updates EMM, but if you happen to know that the command :

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose 

shows the state of the media server, then you can see that this setting is held in EMM - therefore you can come to the conclusion that the vmoprcmd command, also updates EMM.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

They will do exactly the same thing.

Sometimes in NBU there is more than one way to do something.  This is one of them, you can use either the nbemmcmd command (which needs multiple options) of the more simple vmoprcmd command.

This can also be done in the GUI.  Under 'Media and Device manager' > 'devices' ? 'Media servers' you can right click the name of the media server and select 'activate' or 'deactivate'.

Martin

Andy2345
Level 6

Both command will update the EMM?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If they do the same thing then what do you think the answer is ?  GIven a big clue, that one of the uses the nbemmcmd command ?

Andy2345
Level 6

I think both command will update EMM.

I can use any one.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Correct.

I will agree, it is not too obvious that the vmoprcmd command updates EMM, but if you happen to know that the command :

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose 

shows the state of the media server, then you can see that this setting is held in EMM - therefore you can come to the conclusion that the vmoprcmd command, also updates EMM.