cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media write error on RMAN backup

Irys
Level 4

Im having an weird issue with a oracle backup (RMAN), whick always fails with error 84, It doesnt matter in which drive backup be running, always fails,, i doubt it could be a problem related to drives, since they were recently replaced, and also the error only ocurrs in the same policy.

Could you gimme some lights on this? BTW, in logs only can see this messages, but nothnig else much.

"exited with status 84 (media write error)"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Never seen size of backup causing failure with enough backup resources available (e.g disk/tape).

Unless you are writing to disk STU and running out of space on the disk. Job details and bptm log will confirm.

Have your backups been failing since you first posted? No logs yet?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

did you check even though its taking to different Drives.. does it picking the same tape every time?

if yes try with different media

what is the Netbackup OS and version and also tape library details

check  the logs in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors 

Irys
Level 4

Hello Nagalla,

I've already tried with different drives and medias, even though, always fails with an media error,  the curious thing is only this policy.  In the media error there is no much details.

Besides /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors, is there any other place where to search any clue.

Marianne

You will need bptm log on the media server to troubleshoot.

Please post as File attachment

Irys
Level 4

Hello Mariannne,

Sorry for my question, but.... Should I look for an specific pattern in the log??

Marianne

Irys
Level 4

Thx Marianne, you are always so kind, i'll gather the logs, one more question, could be the size of a backup the reason why they are failing? 

Marianne

Never seen size of backup causing failure with enough backup resources available (e.g disk/tape).

Unless you are writing to disk STU and running out of space on the disk. Job details and bptm log will confirm.

Have your backups been failing since you first posted? No logs yet?