cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating a SAN Media Client

ADDODD
Level 4
Hi gang,

I have an old Netbackup 6.0MP4 environment which is being phased out and a new Netbackup 6.5 environment where everything is migrating to.  the master server (cluster) and main media servers are solaris 10 with NBU 6.5.4.

I have two windows 2003 servers on the old platform that are configured as SAN Media Servers (which back up their own data directly to tape).  

I'd like to upgrade the Netbackup software on these and migrate (import?) them into the new NBU 6.5.4 environment.

Other than running the 6.5 installation routine and following the prompts, is there anything else I need to do?  do i need to nbemmcmd anything?  or will the setup routine take care of that...?  do i need to rerun the Storage Wizard again to create a storage unit for these SAN Media clients?

Note that the main media servers (which backup 98% of the environment over LAN) and these 2 SAN Media Servers all share an STK SL8500 tape library which is managed by ACSLS.  the 2 Windows SAN Media Servers use libattach 1.4.2.

any thoughts, suggestions, insight is appreciated!

thanks,

ADDODD
4 REPLIES 4

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
The fastest, easiest, safest way to migrate the SAN Media Servers is just uninstalling the existing NB 6.0MP4 stuff and reinstalling NB 6.5.4, repointing them to the new Master when you do. You'll have to redo the drive stuff but the wizard should take care of that for you in just a few minutes.
When you do the reinstall, it will automatically take care of the EMM database entries for the media servers. The Drive config wizard will also make a storage unit for you if you'd like.

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
And the more safest way not to use SAN client until 6.5.5 cause it has a lot of not fixed problems. But may be you lucky guy. :)

Mouse
and run Storage Configuration Wizard if required.

SAN media server is rather dumb machine, as it pulls all the configuration from EMM.

Mike_Gavrilov
If you decide to use SAN-client you'll need next.

0. Read  SSO 6.5.4 updated documentation cause it has best description of how to configure it. You should understan what you have to do and whice limitations you'll meet.
1.Correctly decommission your media-server (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306838.htm)
2. Uninstall NBU.
3.Install client part.
4.Configure you FT-server
5.Configure your SAN-client.
6. Profit