cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more on managing catalog

dennis_sexton
Level 5
The earlier post about what to do with ever larger catalog reminded me of a question
I have had for some time. Is it possible to somehow divide and conquer a catalog?
That is, install  a new netbackup server and move/import  a portion of the catalog from
a previous server into the new server?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bill_Burditzman
Level 3
Archiving old catalog info:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274027

DOCUMENTATION: Overview of Catalog Archiving process

Then recover the 'portion' needed?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't understand your question about a portion of the catalog?
Image database grows to it's size because of amount of files/folders backed up and retention period. As long as images haven't expired yet you need ALL of it.
If you move to a new server, simply provide more disk space.

Bill_Burditzman
Level 3
Archiving old catalog info:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274027

DOCUMENTATION: Overview of Catalog Archiving process

Then recover the 'portion' needed?

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You have mentioned new NBU server. Technically it's possible using split procedure and this can be only done by Symantec Consulting (i.e. don't expect low prices). This probably make sense when you have backups of two separate business entity going for divorce.

If you want just to remove images with 3-4+ years of retention from active catalog, then Bill's advice is for you. 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Don't waste time trying to squeeze the image catalog on a disk to small, it will be a endless fight.  Add more space.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
expanding the disk, or do both.

dennis_sexton
Level 5
Thanks for all of your answers. I wasn't aware of Bill's doc. That might work. Our catalog just will not stop growing since we have requirements 
to back up a lot of stuff and keep a record of the backups forever. You can only throw
so much disk space at a single catalog. Then you have to stop it seems to me. We don't have a lot of money to send
to Symantec so it would appear we would just have to "start over" with a new backup server and thus leave the old
server as a sign post of the past so to speak.

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Dennis,

How big is your catalog? 

dennis_sexton
Level 5

Have been away from the forums for a while and just saw your question.
My catalog is currently 252G. It is on a zfs file system with compression on.