Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move tape from tape library

abdelmageed
Level 3

Good morning 

we have netbackup 8.1 on solaris 11  we using oracle tape library 

we have multaple pools write now we facing issue that there is no available media for writing and scratch pool has no available media mostvof the media is full 

se we decide that we will remove the tape that has a close expiration date and inserte  a new tape in thier places 

se the quesion how can we  do it ?? "just by eject the tape "

and we will have any problem if we want to get this tapes in thier places and make restore shoud it get back to its orignal slot in tape library or any slot  "how can we do it "???

is netbackup will not remove this tapes information ??

this scnario is good or thiere is a  better scenario??

if  we need to make a restore how can we git this tapes back again to the library  ?? 

conclusion is

- all tapes are in full state and jobs are gaiting faile and oracle tape library has no available slot so i think we shoud eject some tapes and place a new tapes "we alredy have a lot of them " in thier slotes 

- "if we need to restore will we face any issue , how can we do it , the tapes should get back to its orignal slot or any slot will be fine "

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Genericus
   VIP   

This is a Bad news / Good news kind of thing ...

Bad news - NO you cannot do what you want. You should purchase more tapes.

Good news - IF you can determine some tapes you do not need, you can EXPIRE the backups and NetBackup should automatically move them to scratch.

Bad news - if you do this, the data is GONE and will not be available so get approval in writing before expiring anything.

Best advice - monitor your scratch tapes and purchase enough so you have enough on hand to handle needs until more can be purchased - if your purchase cycle is one week, make sure you have at least a weeks worth of tapes. If it is one month, you need a months worth. I get a daily report ( cc OPS ) with listing of scratch tapes - OPS has standing orders to open a sev 1 ticket to me when we get below a set amount.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

View solution in original post

Krutons
   VIP   

If you have new unused tapes that you are able to use, you'd just eject existing tapes and insert those new tapes. However, if you do not, I would not suggest expiring old data to make space for new data unless you've gotten approval from management.

Krutons
   VIP   

If a restore requires a tape that is outside of the tape library, you'd eject a tape to make room for the required tape. Once it's inserted and you've ran an inventory from NetBackup on the tape library, it would be able to be used for that restore.

7 REPLIES 7

Genericus
   VIP   

This is a Bad news / Good news kind of thing ...

Bad news - NO you cannot do what you want. You should purchase more tapes.

Good news - IF you can determine some tapes you do not need, you can EXPIRE the backups and NetBackup should automatically move them to scratch.

Bad news - if you do this, the data is GONE and will not be available so get approval in writing before expiring anything.

Best advice - monitor your scratch tapes and purchase enough so you have enough on hand to handle needs until more can be purchased - if your purchase cycle is one week, make sure you have at least a weeks worth of tapes. If it is one month, you need a months worth. I get a daily report ( cc OPS ) with listing of scratch tapes - OPS has standing orders to open a sev 1 ticket to me when we get below a set amount.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

all tapes are in full state and jobs are gaiting faile and oracle tape library has no available slot so i think we shoud eject some tapes and place a new tapes "we alredy have a lot of them " in thier slotes 

any way to add a new tape in the place of full incerted tapes ????

any help

Krutons
   VIP   

If you have new unused tapes that you are able to use, you'd just eject existing tapes and insert those new tapes. However, if you do not, I would not suggest expiring old data to make space for new data unless you've gotten approval from management.

Thank you :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes: so much I already have a lot of unused tapes
One question please
If I need the image on the removed tape just I should incert them back
And they will be used automatically Or what should I do technically

Krutons
   VIP   

If a restore requires a tape that is outside of the tape library, you'd eject a tape to make room for the required tape. Once it's inserted and you've ran an inventory from NetBackup on the tape library, it would be able to be used for that restore.

Thank you so much for your time and support I appreciate it