cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving BMR boot server to new master server running newer NB version

bgibson
Level 4

We have a Linux BMR boot server pointing at a 6.5.1 Windows 2000 master server and everything is working just fine.

We are migrating to a new Windows 2003 master server running 6.5.3 and

were wondering what steps we need to take to migrate the BMR boot server and one BMR client over to it?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolV
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for the details.

A ticket would surely help.

Meanwhile, some suggestions (which you probably have already tried, providing it nevertheles)

1. Even if the bmrd service on Master Server is running it would need the ASA service (NBU's Database Service) to be running, but since you mention that you are able to launch the Admin GUI, most likely this service is running, but wouldnt hurt to check.

2. I have never done a migration so not sure of the steps involved in this, but was bmrsetupmaster carried out on the master server? This would setup the BMR Database for proper use. (if you are not sure about this, just run the "Master Server Setup" exe from start->programs->veritas netbackup menu. if this setup has been carried out already, it doesnt hurt to run it again unless the "undo" or "redo" options are used from command line :) )

3. To check whether the problem is with boot server setup or overall setup, you can try following command on the master server:

"bmrs -o list -res config"

If the command executes without any problems (irrespective of whether you see any configs listed) then most likely your BMR database is setup properly and problem is elsewhere.

4. Taking a look at the logs would be the last option. OIDs are: bmrd (the BMR Master Server) - 119, bmrsetupmaster and bmrsetupboot (this is run from your boot server) - 127

Lastly, the boot server is not all that important, unless, well, you need to restore a client :)

My humble suggestion would be that the backups (both NBU & BMR config backups) be verified first on you new migrated setup.

Best Wishes,

Amol.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolV
Level 5

Hoping that I got your query right, heres what I think:

>>what steps we need to take to migrate the BMR boot server and one BMR client over to it?

Assuming that this is an **upgrade** (and not a totally new setup) and assuming that the host name etc. of your Master Server is not going to change even after the migration to Win2K3, I dont think you need to do anything.

A 6.5.3 Master server will support a Linux 6.5.1 BMR Boot Server & 6.5.1 clients.

Or did I get your requirement wrong?

HTH,

Amol.

bgibson
Level 4

Hi Amol,

The problem is we are changing names for our master server, we are moving clients off of our old Windows 2000 Server master server to a new Windows 2003 Server master server. Thanks for the suggestion though.

We decided this morning to create a second BMR boot server as a VM (Red Hat Adv Server 3 Update8) so we can test it and take our time transitioning over.

I am running into an issue with it though, when I go to install the Bare Metal Restore Server software and have it register back to our Windows 2003 Server master server I get the following error.

[Error] V-128-900 Cannot query the BMR database for existing boot servers.

Either the database is not functioning, or the bmrd on theBMR master server is not running. Fix these problems and retry.

I checked the Master Server and the bmrd process is running. I tried it again after I shut off the local Windows 2003 Server firewall on the master server but it still complained. I am pretty sure we are licensed okay, I can see the "Bare Metal Restore Management" icon within the Administration console. All I did was take the license code from our old master server and enter it in and it appears as "Bare Metal Restore" under the licensing section. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the old server was running Windows 2000 and this one is running Windows 2003? Maybe the license keys are picky as to what OS you are running?

I am going to submit a ticket to Symantec.

Thanks

AmolV
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for the details.

A ticket would surely help.

Meanwhile, some suggestions (which you probably have already tried, providing it nevertheles)

1. Even if the bmrd service on Master Server is running it would need the ASA service (NBU's Database Service) to be running, but since you mention that you are able to launch the Admin GUI, most likely this service is running, but wouldnt hurt to check.

2. I have never done a migration so not sure of the steps involved in this, but was bmrsetupmaster carried out on the master server? This would setup the BMR Database for proper use. (if you are not sure about this, just run the "Master Server Setup" exe from start->programs->veritas netbackup menu. if this setup has been carried out already, it doesnt hurt to run it again unless the "undo" or "redo" options are used from command line :) )

3. To check whether the problem is with boot server setup or overall setup, you can try following command on the master server:

"bmrs -o list -res config"

If the command executes without any problems (irrespective of whether you see any configs listed) then most likely your BMR database is setup properly and problem is elsewhere.

4. Taking a look at the logs would be the last option. OIDs are: bmrd (the BMR Master Server) - 119, bmrsetupmaster and bmrsetupboot (this is run from your boot server) - 127

Lastly, the boot server is not all that important, unless, well, you need to restore a client :)

My humble suggestion would be that the backups (both NBU & BMR config backups) be verified first on you new migrated setup.

Best Wishes,

Amol.

AmolV
Level 5

Forgot to ask one thing:

I am sure the bp.conf on your test boot server points to the new master server, right?

~Amol.

bgibson
Level 4

Hi Amol,

I did run the "bmrs -o list -res config" command and I got this for a response

[Error] V-123-49 Operation failed

so this tells me the issue is with the master server and not the bare metal restore boot server.

I did submit a ticket late yesterday so hopefully someone will get back to me soon.

I also checked and the netbackup database server service is running

and from the boot server I can ping the server listed in the bp.conf file.

I haven't run the setup master server program so I'll take a look at that.

Thanks Amol for all of your suggestions.

bgibson
Level 4
You were right Amol, I needed to go to the Master Server and set up the BMR database. Once I did that I could install the BMR boot server software on the Linux box and connect. Thanks!

moratar
Level 3

>go to the Master Server and set up the BMR database
what is used to setup BMR Database?. (on win2003)

AmolV
Level 5
The BMR Master Server Assistant application.
From the Start Menu, if you go to the NetBackup menu, you wll find it there.
Or you could simply run bmrsetupmaster.exe from the commandline if you have never setup the database before.
Please be careful while using the CLI, it has options that allows you to completely undo the BMR database.
HTH,
AmolV.