cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multipathing fiber switches in NetBackup

terryd3
Level 4

I am running NBU 7.1.01 on a Linux server which is also the media server.  I have 4 fiber connected LTO3 tape drives, currently all 4 are on one fiber switch.  I want to move two to another switch, so that two drives are connected to each switch.  We tried to do this a year ago and had a lot of problems.  Does anybody know where I can find documentation from Symantec on how to configure this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Robot and tape drives, or just tape drives?

Tape drive multipathing has been supported since NBU 6.0 (provided you use the Device Config Wizard to add/config tape drives).

See if this doc helps?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60395

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Robot and tape drives, or just tape drives?

Tape drive multipathing has been supported since NBU 6.0 (provided you use the Device Config Wizard to add/config tape drives).

See if this doc helps?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60395

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you would like to balance the load using multiple HBA ports, the approach you mention is a good way to do it. I usually try to do the SAN zoning so that each drive is zoned to particular HBA port.

This approach was easier back when tape drives only had one FC port. Today a lot of tape drives supports load-balancing over multiple paths. But to my knowledge NBU does not implement load-balancing, but I stand corrected if that is the case.

Based on the assumption that NBU does not use load-balancing, then NBU would just select the first available path to the tape drive, and it is quite possible that it selects paths to multiple tape drives on the same host HBA port, meaning all I/O goes through the same port. And this way you would not balance the load of multiple HBA ports on the media server.

Therefore I usually still go for selectively zone the paths, so we can "steer" NBU somewhat.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you had problems, but if you change the configuration, and get missing paths in device configuration, you should just delete all tape drives first, and then run a new scan in the wizard. New paths will be created in NBU this way, and you should be able to access all tape drives.

/A