cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nbdecommission command question.

bearvg
Level 3

Hi,

Can I use nbdecommission command (-oldserver, -newserver attributes) in order to change the active network hostname of a netbackup 6.5.6. netbackup media server installation on a media server connected to two networks (public, backup)? For example, the media server was installed using the backup network hostname of the server and I want to change it to use the public network hostname of that media server. If not, which is the correct procedure to use in order to avoid tape import if possible?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bearvg
Level 3

Hi Saurabh,

I haven't done it yet. I'll update the discussion after I've finished. I have also contacted Symantec Support and they gave me a slightly different approach which I'm going to test early next week, meaning:

1) nbemmcmd -addhost –machinename "newmediaservername"–machinetype media -masterserver masterservername -netbackupversion 6.5.6 -operatingsystem linux

2) nbemmcmd –listhost                     (to confirm that it has been added to EMM)

3) nbdecommission –oldserver "oldmediaservername" -newserver "newmediaservername"

4) Uninstall media server software and install media server software with the desired hostname (newmediaservername).

Your comments, please.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

You have 2 ways to do this.

• Set alias name by using nbemmcmd -machinealias to set an alias.
  • Use nbdecomission do decommission the old media server and rename your server with the new Media server name. 

SaurabhHeda
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi,

As Terry said, you can try adding alias name for the media server

nbemmcmd -machinealias -addalias -alias <mediaserver host name>  -machinetype media -machinename <medias server FQDN>

Or Decomission the  "old" media server, declare "new" server on master with short name, and set alternate restore server 

Restoring tape backups using an alternative media server

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO44563

DOCUMENTATION and DOWNLOAD: How to use Symantec's NetBackup Media Server Decommissioning Tool for NetBackup 6.5.3.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125192

Thanks,

Saurabh

bearvg
Level 3

Thank you both for your valuable answers. Some questions though

a) If I decommission the media server do I have to uninstall/install the media server software in order to make the netbackup hostname change or there is a command that acomplishes the same thing without software reinstallation?

b) Do I need to use both "-oldserver" and "-newserver" with the nbdecommission command?

c) after I've done the previous steps (one way or another) do I have to do anything in order for the media server installation with the new hostname to aquire the ownership of the backups taken from the old netbackup hostname media server?

Thank you in advance?

ChetteB
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Note...if you choose the second option, you should remove and reinstall netbackup from scratch AFTER decommissioning it. When you use decommission, you are telling netbackup that you do not want to use that installation of NetBackup. NetBackup will remove all references to that media server. Once the decommission is complete then you can remove and reinstall netbackup and add it to NetBackup as if it were a newly built server. Keep in mind you will also need to add it to any disk pools just like a new server.

ChetteB
Level 3
Partner Accredited

A - You should remove and reinstall netbackup since after decomissioning it, the server is no longer part of the netbackup domain. It is the cleanest way to do things.

B - For the decommission you should use -oldserver <server to be removed> -newserver <server that will take ownership of all backups and media> This MUST be a valid server that is part of your NetBackup domain. 

C - This is the part that can be a bit interesting. You need to know which backup IDs to move back. Then you can run bpimage -newserver master -oldserver media -id <backupid> 

Also note this can be more difficult if there is an MSDP on the old server. You need to duplicate those images to another server and expire the images on the old server BEFORE decommissioning the server otherwise the decommission will fail.

bearvg
Level 3

Hi ChetteB,

Thank you too for your answer. What I would like to know is what should I do before and after the decommission and the media software reinstallation with the public hostname in order to make sure that I will be able to assign the backups taken by the media server with the old hostname (backup) to the media server with the new hostname (public).

Thanks,

bearvg
Level 3

Thanks again Chette,

As I understand from your example I can use the master/media server as the intermediate "-newserver" although it's not connected to the storage unit the backups were taken, correct?

As for the bpimage stage you are right that it might be time consuming but I don't know if I can execute the bpimage for backup images of the one and only client I'm backing up so far on that media server. I will check the bpimage command details to see my options.

SaurabhHeda
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi,

->We use -newserver option so that we can perform the restore of the images using the new server, So specify the  name of the media server where tape media should be moved before decommissioning the old media server. It will be used as the default new media server for performing restore.

->I believe, "bpimage" changes the image, however it won't change the mediaid record and we will still see it associated to the oldserver. After decommissioning of the media server i think below command should work for you:

bpmedia -movedb -allvolumes -oldserver <old_server> -newserver <new_server>

Note: This command modifies the NetBackup image database and the media server entry in the header files of all the backups taken by <old_server> is replaced with a <new_server> entry.

Thanks,

Saurabh

bearvg
Level 3

Hi Saurabh,

I suppose that since the only media server available (besides the media server that will be decommissioned) is the master/media server, the -newserver should point to that master/media server, correct?

As for the bpmedia command you suggest, I suppose that after the decommission execution I will see my options based on what has been changed in regard to image IDs and media IDs of the backups executed on the old media server. In any case I will record the backup image IDs of all the affected backups in order to have my options open.

Thank you,

SaurabhHeda
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Yes you can point your new server to master server.

Thanks

-Saurabh

SaurabhHeda
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi bearvg,

Was the decommission successful? 

If we were able to resolve your queries please mark as solution so that it will be helpful for others to have similar queries. 

Thanks,
Saurabh

bearvg
Level 3

Hi Saurabh,

I haven't done it yet. I'll update the discussion after I've finished. I have also contacted Symantec Support and they gave me a slightly different approach which I'm going to test early next week, meaning:

1) nbemmcmd -addhost –machinename "newmediaservername"–machinetype media -masterserver masterservername -netbackupversion 6.5.6 -operatingsystem linux

2) nbemmcmd –listhost                     (to confirm that it has been added to EMM)

3) nbdecommission –oldserver "oldmediaservername" -newserver "newmediaservername"

4) Uninstall media server software and install media server software with the desired hostname (newmediaservername).

Your comments, please.

Thanks,

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SaurabhHeda
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi bearvg,

Ya. You can follow above steps as well. It will move the media's to the new server. Should not cause any issues.

Thanks,

Saurabh

bearvg
Level 3

Hi mph999,

I read your comment in my e-mail but I don't see it here. I don't know if you deleted the content somehow.

Anyway, the first step is proposed by Symantec support in order to permit the decommissioning process (next step) to move the ownership of the old hostname media server to the new hostname media server (using the -newserver clause). To be honest I don't know if this procedure works but this is what the Symantec support suggests I should do. My doubts where the following:

1) Can I use "nbemmcmd -addhost" to add a non existent (at the time of the command execution) media server in EMM?

2) Will there be any problem when in the final step I will reinstall the media server software with the desired hostname (newmediaservername) since there is already a media server with the same hostname in EMM?

The answer to both of my concerns was that there will be no problem.

Does anybody, you included (that might have tested the solution) have a different opinion on the subject?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, I deleted my comment as it was incorrect - in effect I agree with support, I just wondered if step 1 was needed and it is, in fact that's a neat way of doing things which I think will work.

bearvg
Level 3

Hi all,

The procedure provided by Symantec Support worked like a charm. Since I haven't tested any of the other similar but more complex solutions kindly provided I cannot mark any of these as solution and since I have to mark something as a solution to the issue I will mark as such a previous comment of mine, describing the Symantec Support provided steps.

Thank you all for your effort to assist me.

Best Regards,

bearvg,