cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nbstlutil inactive command

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have an MSDP on a master\media server which duplicates images to an MSDP on an offsite media server. The media server then duplicates the image to tape.

The MSDP on the offsite media server is full as the msdp fills up quicker than the media server can duplicate these images to the tape devices. The MSDP images are set to expire once duplicated within the SLP.

We're addressing the situation by getting some additional hardware but until then I'd like to stop the duplication from the master server to the media server MSDP but continue to allow the duplication from the media server's msdp to tape. When this has freed up space on the MSDP I will then allow more images to duplicate down from the master server.

If I just 'suspend secondary operations' on the SLP then I understand this will stop the MSDP duplication but will also stop the duplication from the media server msdp to tape?

So I'm looking at the command:  nbstlutil inactive -destination <medis Server MSDP>

This has stopped the duplication to the MSDP and the duplication from the MSDP to tape still tries to run but I'm getting 191 errors and 'failed to read from spoold (connection reset by peer). Ensure storage server services are running' 

Is this expected and suggests what I'm trying to do isn't possible - or is this perhaps a separate unrelated issue?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Mike_Gavrilov

>duplication from the MSDP to tape still tries to run

Does NBU try to duplicate new images or images that were written to the MSDP before you'd disabled the destination?

CadenL

Hi

No new images are being duplicated to the MSDP but duplication jobs are starting which try to duplicate from the MSDP to tape - however these seem to be failing with 191 errors saying the storage server might not be available.

So basically I'm trying to clear the back log of images that has already been duplicated to the MSDP

I was thinking that perhaps stopping the duplication jobs going to the MSDP was somehow causing the storage server for that MSDP to also ignore any calls from the part of the SLP that's trying to read the image and duplicate it to tape - eg the storage server is unavailable for both read and write requests.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Is your configuration as below?
backup
>> duplication to msdp
>> duplication to tape

If msdp is full then there are chances that nbu has marked the disk pool down.. even if it is over the high watermark then operations to the msdp storage could report errors..

The only way to be 100% sure would be by checking logs as error 190 and 191 are kind of generic errors..
bpdm logs on the media server would be the starting point.. you may also need to check with spoold, spad and storaged logs..

You can always log a support call to assist with checking logs and assisting you in fixing the issue

CadenL

Hi

Yes - the SLP is as follows:

Backup to Server 1 MSDP --> Duplicate to Server 2 MSDP --> Duplicate from Server 2 MSDP to Tape.

I guess my initial question is will the command: nbstlutil inactive -destination <Server 2 MSDP> have the affect of preventing new backup images from Server 1 MSDP being duplicated to Server 2 MSDP whilst still allowing Server 2 MSDP to duplicate its existing images to tape?

I'm just trying to find a way to drain down the images on Server 2 MSDP to tape and prevent any new images being written to it from Server1 MSDP