cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nbu 6.0 and dlt2 cart issues

spj
Level 3
I am running nbu 6.0 with pv-136t, sdlt2 tape drive.  The issue is the cleaning tape is not being detected.  True,  NBU sees the tape.  It can be placed into the none volume.  I've setup a tape rule for CLN, DLT2 CART, tried tape, inventoried it.  Looks good.  Double click on tape the the "Number of cleanings " is grayed out even changing density.  I have tried to clean the drive and NBU does not see it (my guess is wrong density even when I have tried different density settings).  Tape label is CLN001.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

spj
Level 3
NBU finally reconizes the cleaning tape.  Issue was wrong media. The cleaning tape was dlt tape and not a cleaning tape dlt 2. This was accomplished by working with manual tape install and going back to the bar code rules.  

NBU still does not want to use the cleaning tape to clean the drive even when the tape is reconized.  Media is not available.

I got it.  I removed the tape, again, and deleted it.  Changed the bar code rule to dlt cleaning tape 2.  Nbu installed the tape and reconized the tape as dlt cleaning tape 2 (what!).  The tape was configurable. Cleaning the drive works. 

Recap.
Recreated barcode fortape and set up rule as
CLNSxx, dlt cleaning tape, vol: none, usage 20 times.
nbu: media not available, but it reconized the tape and it was configurable.
re-edit bar code rule and changed dlt cleaning tape to dlt cleaning tape 2, and saved.
Took tape out and removed from none vol and re-installed.  nbu reconized tape and the tape was configurable.
Ran cleaning and nbu found it.

Oh,  I moved the tape from slot 20 to slot 1.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
When you select media from the menu tree on the admin console under Media and Device Management the pane on the right will populate with a list of media in your library. 

The cleaning tape should have a media type of HCART2_CLN.  If it does not remove the tape and reinventory it.  The CLN001 is most likely the media ID generated from the barcode on the media itself. 

When you reinventory the library, go into advanced options and select the media type for the tape you are adding, do not select HCART 2.  Select HCART2 cleaning tape. 

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

What matters is the "logical" density that NetBackup has in it's configuration.

If you have your tape drives configurd as HCART2 (while the tape drive might be physically LTO3 or LTO4 or SDLT) you need to have the storage unit configured as HCART2, tapes inventoried as HCART2, and cleaning tapes inventoried as HCART2_CLEAN.

If a tape drive is of HCART2 type, and a cleaning tape is of HCART2, then cleaning will "not" happen, and you will not be able to set maximum cleaning count for that tape.

HCART2 is a type for a data tape, not for a cleaning tape.

For HCART2 tape drive, cleaning tape must be of HCART2_CLEAN type.

In summary again,

Tape Drive = HCART2
Storage Unit = HCART2
Data Tapes = HCART2
Cleaning Tapes = HCART2_CLEAN

:-)

Abe

Android
Level 6
SPJ,

Did the information above help?  Were you able to get the tape brought into NBU as a cleaning tape?   If so mark the solution.

spj
Level 3
tape drive dlt2
data tapes dlt2 cart
cleaning tape dlt2 cart cleaning

cln001 is the bar code for the tape.  The present config. allows 6 characters for the bar code, therefore, cln001.  nbu config reconizes the dlt2 and media type is set for dlt2 cart cleaning, so is the bar code rules.  Maybe I not understanding something....

Thank you for the quick replies.

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified

Try to add the media manually(not by bar code rule ).

Media and Device Management : New Media

Select appropriate option. If works, problem in your bar code rules.

Media Type : DLT cleaning tape 2

Number of Volume : 1

Media Id : Lable of Media

Maximum Mount

Volume Group

spj
Level 3
NBU finally reconizes the cleaning tape.  Issue was wrong media. The cleaning tape was dlt tape and not a cleaning tape dlt 2. This was accomplished by working with manual tape install and going back to the bar code rules.  

NBU still does not want to use the cleaning tape to clean the drive even when the tape is reconized.  Media is not available.

I got it.  I removed the tape, again, and deleted it.  Changed the bar code rule to dlt cleaning tape 2.  Nbu installed the tape and reconized the tape as dlt cleaning tape 2 (what!).  The tape was configurable. Cleaning the drive works. 

Recap.
Recreated barcode fortape and set up rule as
CLNSxx, dlt cleaning tape, vol: none, usage 20 times.
nbu: media not available, but it reconized the tape and it was configurable.
re-edit bar code rule and changed dlt cleaning tape to dlt cleaning tape 2, and saved.
Took tape out and removed from none vol and re-installed.  nbu reconized tape and the tape was configurable.
Ran cleaning and nbu found it.

Oh,  I moved the tape from slot 20 to slot 1.  

Android
Level 6
What you decribed above is what I stated in the first response. I'm glad you have it working now!