cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nbu querries

zoan_nbu
Level 4

1..We install NDMP license on each media server or only on master server? (media server here are those which contact the NDMP HOST)

2...media came from slot 4 into the drive.Now that slot 4 will remain empty?I have some tapes in the CAP,AND IF I RUN INVENTORY ,will the new media go to that slot 4?

3....if i use robtest and move that media to slot 4 using m d2 s4.then where that media will go from the drive  after backup completion ??

4.....client initiated restores contact bprd on the master server.for this bprd entry needs to be there on the client in the services file defined in the registry for Windows clients or in /etc/services for UNIX clients? if yes,then what this service file do???

5.........do timeout on clients has any meaning?

6......when we buy NBU licenses,we buy capacity based or traditional based...then we have to buy NBU SERVER LICENSE or NBU enterprise license.I mean What is the sequence?

8...if i dont have a scratch pool,then where media will go after expiration?( to the same pool from where it comes or to the NETBACKUP POOL)

7......in Nbu VTL TAPES,how the media gets expired? on physical tapes,once all images have expired from media than it comes to scratch pool.iN VTL tapes,media comes after expiration in scratch pool.then what happens?

8..NDMP protocol runs on filer or on master/media server?

9..use of nbemmcmd –getemmserver on media server? it checks whether media server connects to emm server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1. Install NDMP license on the media server that you configure as NDMP media server, where will add NDMP credentials and that you will use in device config wizard to discover NDMP devices.
We have been through this in your previous post. No need to restart a discussion about this.

2 and 3. You have asked this question before using one of your other user names. If you search this forum you will find the answer.
See
slot
inventory.

4. /etc/services is no longer used. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135628 

5. Only for database extentions like Oracle. You have asked this previously and was told the same.
The client read timeout and client connect timeout can go on masters or medias. They go on anything ... 
client_read_timeout 
details on media server and clients 
client read and client connect time out? 

6. When you buy capacity there is no need to buy additional Server licenses. You can use as many Servers and Enterprise clients as you like. Capacity and host-based licenses cannot be used in the same environment.

If someone sold you additional server licenses on top of NetBackup Platform Base – Complete Edition, they sold you the wrong licenses.
Take this up with your reseller and Symantec Customer Care.

8. They stay in the same pool. 'Return to Scratch' setting in EMM applies to Scratch only. you can read up about this in Admin Guide.

7. Exactly the same as physical tapes. No differens from NBU point of view.
For some VTLs, space needs to be reclaimed by re-labelling tapes. This is not a NBU requirement. Check with your VTL vendor.

8. On the filer. If you run 'tpautoconf -verify <filer-name>' on the NBU for NDMP media server, you will see the NDMP version on the filer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

1. Install NDMP license on the media server that you configure as NDMP media server, where will add NDMP credentials and that you will use in device config wizard to discover NDMP devices.
We have been through this in your previous post. No need to restart a discussion about this.

2 and 3. You have asked this question before using one of your other user names. If you search this forum you will find the answer.
See
slot
inventory.

4. /etc/services is no longer used. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135628 

5. Only for database extentions like Oracle. You have asked this previously and was told the same.
The client read timeout and client connect timeout can go on masters or medias. They go on anything ... 
client_read_timeout 
details on media server and clients 
client read and client connect time out? 

6. When you buy capacity there is no need to buy additional Server licenses. You can use as many Servers and Enterprise clients as you like. Capacity and host-based licenses cannot be used in the same environment.

If someone sold you additional server licenses on top of NetBackup Platform Base – Complete Edition, they sold you the wrong licenses.
Take this up with your reseller and Symantec Customer Care.

8. They stay in the same pool. 'Return to Scratch' setting in EMM applies to Scratch only. you can read up about this in Admin Guide.

7. Exactly the same as physical tapes. No differens from NBU point of view.
For some VTLs, space needs to be reclaimed by re-labelling tapes. This is not a NBU requirement. Check with your VTL vendor.

8. On the filer. If you run 'tpautoconf -verify <filer-name>' on the NBU for NDMP media server, you will see the NDMP version on the filer.

zoan_nbu
Level 4

THank Mam.

Pleasae reply on these also.

2...media came from slot 4 into the drive.Now that slot 4 will remain empty?I have some tapes in the CAP,AND IF I RUN INVENTORY ,will the new media go to that slot 4?

3....if i use robtest and move that media to slot 4 using m d2 s4.then where that media will go from the drive  after backup completion ??

9..use of nbemmcmd –getemmserver on media server? it checks whether media server connects to emm server?

4.....client initiated restores contact bprd on the master server.for this bprd entry needs to be there on the client in the services file defined in the registry for Windows clients or in /etc/services for UNIX clients? if yes,then what this service file do??? i have some 6.5 clients in our environment.

below is the link why this query was raised.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68832

A very useful command to help with testing client and server resolution is the command -
bpclntcmd -pn when run from a NBU client or media server.
What that command does when ran on a client as example,

1. The client gets the first server listed in it's server's list and knowing it is the master server does a forward lookup of that hostname or a gethostbyname call to DNS or host file.

2. Once that is successful you should see the message-"expecting response from (master server hostname)". If the forward lookup fails or the client does not have the bprd port 13720 defined in the registry for Windows clients or in /etc/services for UNIX clients you will not see that message displayed. Create a bplist log on the client at verbose 5 and rerun that command.

3.   When the client connects to the bprd port on the master server, the master server performs two functions. It first does a simple reverse lookup of the incoming IP address and that is the first name returned by the command. Then it goes into the policy database and lookup what hostname it is using when backing up the client server. That is the second hostname returned by the command. See the example below-

this is the last post.after this i will mark the solution.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Why do you want to know so many questions? Try reading the documentation.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

THese have been asked previously.

>> Slot #4 should be left empty if the tape that was in it is in a drive.  The library should know this and not put another tape from the MAP in the slot.

This has been known not to 'work' - however, it was proven to be a library issue.

IF you put the tape from slot to drive and then back again,m NBU will behave as normal.  It is not recommeneded to move tapes like this unless for a specific test, as if you only move, for example, from slot to drive, NBU will not know that there is a tape in the drive - it will get out-of-sync.

If it produces output, then yes, it must have shown the the media can connect to the emm server.

Marianne
Level 6

2 and 3 . Again - see your previous posts:

slot
inventory.

The answers remain the same. Not sure why you are askin again?

4. There is nothing to explain. 
TECH68832 is very clear about the purpose of services entries.
When you run the commands in your environment you will understand.

9. So, you have added to your initial post.

When you run the command, you will clearly see that the master tries to connect to all media servers and then displays output received back from them.

Why not just run the command? No need to ask. When you look at the screen, you will get your answer.