cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need a recommandation of a NBU server and tape drive comb?

FlyMountain
   VIP   

For remote site a budgetary plan, we are looking for a server which combined with single tape drive. Does anyone have recommendations? We will use it as NBU media server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Maybe take a look at Veritas Appliances. Netbackup installation in a box. Updates to OS and Netbackup delivered as a single USB image.

https://www.veritas.com/content/dam/Veritas/docs/data-sheets/netbackup-5330-Appliance-en-21327481-ds.pdf

For small remote sites I would go for MSDP solution. There is always issue with remote tape installations, that "someone" non-it related persons need to change the tape, except for when they are ill, on vacation, forget it, overworked, or not able to understand instructions 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How much data to protect ?

I don't think servers and tape drives are old combined today - you will need some sort of robot and tape drives.

But consider a media server deduplication pool to store backup (work with disk only). Should be cheap to start with and can scale up to 64TB.

Does it need to be a hp-ux box - you selected HP-UX as operating system. For budget I would go for a entry X86_64 server with Linux.

FlyMountain
   VIP   

Thanks Nicolai.

Yes, client dedu is another option for our small remote sites which capacity less than 1TB. For some remote sites which we don't have network connections to our data center, we are planing to set a Veritas server and single tape drive.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Maybe take a look at Veritas Appliances. Netbackup installation in a box. Updates to OS and Netbackup delivered as a single USB image.

https://www.veritas.com/content/dam/Veritas/docs/data-sheets/netbackup-5330-Appliance-en-21327481-ds.pdf

For small remote sites I would go for MSDP solution. There is always issue with remote tape installations, that "someone" non-it related persons need to change the tape, except for when they are ill, on vacation, forget it, overworked, or not able to understand instructions 

jim_dalton
Level 6

Do you have any written requirements?

Its a remote site....I'd consider not using a robot/tapes but cheap raid disk to keep images on. Robots and drives can be costly and you'll need to visit to addess any hardware issues; disk can be had cheap but having removable media may be a requirement.  Cheapest would be basic disk I'd think...the backup images just get put to disk. You'll just need to size your disk accordingly. Jim

FlyMountain
   VIP   

Thanks Jim.

Yes, we are thinking all different options. First one is using client site deduplication and accelerator, in this case, we will need to seed the first full backup.  We also planned to use VTL, then replicate the dedued vtapes to our data center. But they both will need decent network connections to our data centers. Also the restore performance is not garanteed...