cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need advice, how to backup 3 MSSQL groups of MS Failover cluster

puga
Level 2

Hello!

We current have 3 MSSQL group inside of MS Failover cluster defined (on 2 nodes). So my question is how to do backup of such cluster , I mean what is better ? My current options is

1) to create 3 different policies for each of nodes (separate BCH scripts for each anyway)

2) Or I can create just one policy, listing in backup selection all of my BCH files, adding to client selection list each head of a MSSQL group of MS Cluster, limiting number of jobs per policy to 1

Can you please suggest , how you would do it ? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

We are also running a MS 3+1 cluster for our Critical SQL Servers. We have chosen to let the SQL DBA's backup the databases to disk using SQL maintenance plans and then for each server we have a policy to capture the SQL backup files into NetBackup.

florin_s
Level 4
Certified

we have 2 clusters in 2 policies, one for full and one for tlogs working fine(both clients in one policy but separate policies for backing up tlogs and full db backup)

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Out of curiosity why do you have sepperate policies in NBU for thfferent DB Backups? Is it because of backup completion, ie. running NBU policy constantly to capture latest tlogs? Or some other reason?

florin_s
Level 4
Certified

if you mean why separate policies for full and tlogs backups the answer is yes.

full daily, tlogs every 3 hours

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

So its just to increase RPO? Hadn't thought about that a good deal, but is something to consider.