cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need good recipe to migrate from near death netbackup 6.0mp7 master/media server to new hw

lndbrusr
Level 2

Folks,

I have netbackup 6.0mp7 running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 5) aka Linux SERVERNAME 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux.

The hardware that this is running on is old and is failing.  I have a newer host setup with linux and it looks like this:

-Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)

-Linux SERVERNAME2 2.6.18-194.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Mar 29 20:19:03 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

My "goal" is to setup the new server and replicate the current one to the new one and then replace the current one (changing hostname and IP of new one to the same as the current one).  

What is the best method to replicate from a netbackup master/media server perspective on the new hardware?

Yes I am aware (and unable to change) that my netbackup version is very old and unsupported.  That said, I need to get this working using 6.0mp7.  I do have the 6.0 installer and mp7 patches.

thanks,

cj

Linux masterdd.postini.com 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)
3 REPLIES 3

D_Flood
Level 6

You could try the following steps:

1) Catalog backup on old system

2) Power off old system

3) Configure new system with same disk layout, same name, and same IP address and same NetBackup version

4) Configure new system with access to whereever you backed the catalog up to

5) Cross every apendage

6) Recover catalog

7) Start making plans to build new server (with new name and IP address) using at least 7.6.1.2 and start migrating backups over to it.  Don't even think of trying to fight through the upgrade path from 6.0 to 7.6 (or 7.7)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Your problem is not only with your dying server, but with dead and buried NBU version. More than 3 years EOSL. Best way to migrate to new hardware is catalog backup and restore using exact same hostname. Get yourself 64-bit hardware to enable upgrade to a supported 7.x version.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Absolutely agree with Marianne. There is no good reason for installing a 32 bit version of Red Hat 5.5. Re-install the server with 64 bit version of Linux.

If - and just if you ever upgrade to 7.X, Netbackup REQUIRE a 64 bit version on Linux.

If I could choose I would go for another option than catalog recovery. I would rsync everything below /usr/openv to the new servers. A Linux admin can help you with that. We used the same method for moving 4 TB catlog between servers. It does require a little bit of knowgle about rsyan and the Netbackup file layout.

if you do go with catalog recovery, test it more than once.

Remember host name has to be EXACTLY the same as before - including domain name.