Did you mean: 

need more info

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Guys,

See attached the schedule type 

It has 1 week for the frequency.

When does this get to run the backup job, if for instance i choose this as my schedule type for a backup policy....Must it be only a Friday, that the jobs gets to start automatically, this is my question....

Must the start window and time be chosen for Friday, can i chose any other day and time, and if i choose another day that is not Friday would it still run automatically(as scheduled).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Frequency backup is always calculated based upon 'when last did this schedule run?', followed by 'has enough time elapsed (based upon schedule) since last backup?'.

David Chapa has kindly shared his article about Frequency Based Scheduling with me. I have posted it over here:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-frequency-based-scheduling

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

& then not again until 1 week has passed (presuming a backup window is open at that time)

***EDIT***

So if a window is open Friday, the backup will run & will run again the following Friday. If a window is also open on a Monday the backup will not run if it run on the Friday as 1 week has not elapsed since the previous backup.

***EDIT #2***

Short post but re-reading it for the third time!

Must it be only a Friday

Must the start window and time be chosen for Friday

- no. It can be whenever you want it to be.

can i chose any other day and time

- yes.

and if i choose another day that is not Friday would it still run automatically(as scheduled)

- yes. It will run whenever the frequency of 1 week has elapsed since the last back ran in that schedule (including manual backups)

Not wanting to confuse you totally, it may be easier to ask exactly what it is that you actually want to achieve:

a) do you want the backup to only run on a particular day & only every week thereafter?
  - have the backup window open in the schedule on whichever day you need & set the freqency to 1 week
  - OR have the backup window open on whichever day in the schedule & have the frequency set to a value just greater than the length of the backup window e.g. window open Friday 0600 - 1200 set the frequency to 7 hours. Backup will not run until the next window opens.

b) do you want the backup to run every day, each week?
  - have the backup window open for each day under separate schedules in the same policy, frequency as per (a) above)
  - have the backup window open each day that you require in the schedule & set the frequency to a value just greater than the length of the backup window (but less than the interval between windows)

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@ Andy, I have a new policy that i created, then i set the schedule type as 1 week and start up time as 4.30pm on thursday, which is the same day i created the policy.

On thursday at 4.30pm the FULL backup did not start up automatically, so i decided to run a manuall FULL backup and it went well.

Now i want to run the FULL backup again automatically but no more for 4.30pm but now to start still on the same day but 5.30pm, so what should my setting look like, so that the backup can start automatically, without me having to do it manually.

Thanks

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

IF you have it set to 1 week, it will run once every week.

If it ran at 4:30 on Thursday and now you want it to run at 5:30, just change the Schedule Window. As long as the backup ran at or before 5:30 last Thursday it will run at 5:30 the next week.

Will_Restore
Level 6

nbpemreq -predict  -date mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS

[-client_filter client...] [-policy_filter policy...]

Helps determine when a policy is to be run. The displayed information is

based on the current time and a future date. Time is indicated by mm/dd/yyyy

HH:MM:SS

This option also helps determine why a policy has not run. The difference

between the options is the output format and the amount of data presented.

It shows the backups that are eligible to run, but it does not indicate which

jobs are to run at a specific time. It checks for an open window for the backup,

but does not reflect any exclude dates that might be set for the schedule.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

How long did you leave it?

start up time as 4.30pm on thursday, which is the same day i created the policy. On thursday at 4.30pm the FULL backup did not start up automatically

I think there's a 10 minute period on NB where any changes etc to policies are not implemented which can be over-ridden with nbpemreq -updatepolicies.

From: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43573

"The nbpem daemon will check for changes based on the Global attribute Policy Update Interval.  By default, this is set to ten minutes"

Also of relevance:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43169

Now i want to run the FULL backup again automatically but no more for 4.30pm but now to start still on the same day but 5.30pm, so what should my setting look like, so that the backup can start automatically, without me having to do it manually.

Make your changes to your policy & wait ..... or run the above command. Bear in mind tho' that if you run a manual backup (like you did as the backup didn't start) that you have effectively determined when the next backup can start - i.e. 1 week later per your frequency.

Marianne
Level 6

Frequency backup is always calculated based upon 'when last did this schedule run?', followed by 'has enough time elapsed (based upon schedule) since last backup?'.

David Chapa has kindly shared his article about Frequency Based Scheduling with me. I have posted it over here:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-frequency-based-scheduling

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well Understood now,

Thank you guys.....

Marianne
Level 6

Please select the post that helped you most and Mark as Solution....