cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to manually kick off compression NBU catalog

bills
Level 5

NBU 7.1, RHEL 4.8.

I was browsing the catalog in the BAR GUI, trying to verify backups.  At some point during the search my start date was reset from the 6 months I had set to back in 2008.  As a result, NBU uncompressed about 100G of the catalog.  I can add disk - but that 100G is going to come back (presumably) once the images are compressed again, so I don't really need the space.  I'd like to kick the compression off manually.

The man page for bpimage says that the -cleanup flag will compress images scheduled for compression, with a note that this allows users to accomplish these tasks if they don't want to wait for the scheduler.  When I run this command, it doesn't appear to do anything - it certainly doesn't start compressing images.

I can try bpimage -compress, but I'd rather leave the receny images uncompressed, if I can.

Has anyone used the -cleanup flag, or have any suggestions?  The normal compression cycle triggers after every backup "session" - so can I expect these to compress after tonight's backups?

Or does the clock start ticking again from today (the uncompress time), not the backup timt?  That would explain why -cleanup didn't do anything...

Thanks

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bills
Level 5

Well, so either I didn't give NBU time after issueing the cleanup command, or the scheduler kicked off.  Everything's been recompressed...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

bills
Level 5

Well, so either I didn't give NBU time after issueing the cleanup command, or the scheduler kicked off.  Everything's been recompressed...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

but you beat me to it with your reply.

The bpimage -cleanup -allclients (as you've found out) does recompress your images. Your only issue will be is if you do it again but go further back in time - there is the possibility that your filesystem/disk will fill up - if your image catalog is in the default area then this could cause you issues. It can be moved if required:

DOCUMENTATION: How to move the image catalog on a Windows server
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69974

DOCUMENTATION: How to move the image catalog on a UNIX Server
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69970