cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to upgrade window NBU master server from 7.5.0.4 to 7.7.3 version

lovee
Level 5

Hi All,

I have to upgrade window netbackup master server from 7.5.0.4 to 7.7.3 version.

current window version is 2008 R2

1. do i need to upgrrade wiindow version as well?

2. from 7.5.0.4 what version i have to upgrade first before upgrade to 7.7.3 version?

3. i think it would be a major upgrade. what steps i have to keep in mind while doing this upgrade?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

Hey,

1) you dont need to upgrade your windows box, as the OS supports 7.7.3 check here for more details : https://sort.veritas.com/nbu_scl_checker

2) you can directly upgrade from 7.5.x to 7.7.3, If you have BMS installed it might take more time since NetBackup database will be rebuilt while upgrade is in progress.

3) well any upgrades for that matter requires lot of pre-checks

1. most imporantly catalog backup, make sure you have good catalog backup, document your tapes, have your DR file from Catalog ready, just in case we need for recovery.

2. download and run NBCC and run NBCC and ensure it comes out with no errors.

3. you can also run report from sort site. 

https://sort.veritas.com/checklist/install#report

Additional portal you may want to visit before you upgrade....

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH74584.html

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000108121

PatS729
Level 5

2008 R2 should support 773. Since, its a upgrade please call support to get NBCC analysis done. It will help you fix any catalog inconsistencies and prevent unexpected failures.

Thanks Venkatesh

I have some more master servers to upgrade to 7.7.3 version . below is the list. Please let me know the middle verion to upgrade first before go to 7.7.3 and steps need in consideration while doing upgrade. All these will be major upgrades.

1. current version 6.0 Win. OS vers. 2003

2. current version is 7.1.0.3 Win. OS is 2003

3. current version 5.3 AIX OS

4. Current version 5.0GA HP-UX

Thanks

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Lovee,

Looks like you have some real issues with that list of old OS's Smiley Sad

I've checked the SCL's for those operating systems, and none of them is supported as a master server under version 7.7.x.

You don't say whether your Windows 2003 are 32 or 64 bit, or if they are R2.  Server 2003 SP1 and Server 2003 R2 32-bit are not supported as a master server from NetBackup 7.6 onwards.  Server 2003 SP1 and Server 2003 R2 64-bit are not supported as a master server from NetBackup 7.7 onwards.  For NetBackup 7.7.x you need either Windows Server 2008, or 2012 - 64 bit only.  R2 versions of 2008 and 2012 64-bit are also supported.

AIX 5.3 is not supported as a master server from NetBackup 7.6 onwards.  You will need a minimum of AIX 6.1 for NetBackup 7.7.x.

For HP-UX, I cannot even find a listing for version 5.0 so it must be very old.  NetBackup 7.7.x only supports HP-UX 11.3 on IA64 architecture.

So it looks like you have a lot more work to do replacing these old and unsupported OS's first.

Steve

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
All of those will need migration to new hardware in addition to long upgrade path.
For some you may not be able to locate software for phased upgrade and migration.
A better approach may be to stand up a new master server with currently supported OS and NBU version, and then start importing tapes.
You will need to check SCL as there will probably quite a number of clients that will no longer be supported by current versions of NBU.
NBU master/media servers can backup clients that are one major version lower, but no more.

1. current version 6.0 Win. OS vers. 2003
Upgrade to 6.5.x, then migrate to W2008.
Upgrade to 7.5, then 7.7.3.
Probably good idea to migrate to W2012 at this point.

2. current version is 7.1.0.3 Win. OS is 2003
Migrate to W2008 using same version of NBU, then upgrade to 7.7.3.

3. current version 5.3 AIX OS
There was no NBU 5.3. Perhaps AIX version? And NBU 5.1?
Upgrade to 6.5 must be done first.
This is a major upgrade for which NBCC analysis is a MUST. You will need to log a support call to request NBCC for this NBU version. You will need a 6.5 license key as well.
After this, you need to check SCL for OS compatibility and decide on OS migration path and from there to 7.x and then to 7.7.x.

4. Current version 5.0GA HP-UX
You will need to upgrade to 5.1 first, then 6.5, 7.x and then 7.7.x and somewhere inbetween migrate to new hardware.

And remember to check OS on clients and if they still appear in current 7.0 - 7.6 or 7.7.x SCLs.
Probably need to check HCL as well to see if devices on AIX and HP-UX 'museum pieces' are still supported.