cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

net backup interview questions

chandrasekhar
Level 3
Hi friends,

I am preparing Solaris netbackup and wants to grow up my carrier in this field> I am having some interview questions if u provide me yours email id i will forward. plz do the same for me if you have any interview questions.plz

Thanks & regards

chandra
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I think that the objective isn't break anyone,

I think the question should be "Where can U find the solution?"  not the proper solution,

example:  I'm having some oracle problem, what could it be? how can I find the error? which log?

unless u got someone like the Great ones here :)  that know everything about it.
I think that even symantec will fight for one of these person.

Expose your daily problems and ask for solutions.

GREAT topic..

Thanks

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

rookie11
   VIP   
if u wanna share some questions u can paste them here itself and ask others to put some questions

chandrasekhar
Level 3
Hi friends,

I am preparing for Solaris & veritas net backup UNIX mode and wants to grow up my carrier in this field so plz give me the material for interview point of view, and also
give questions which is asked.

i am having some interview questions if you provide me yours email id I will forward. please do the same for me if you have any interview questions & Solutions.

1. What is User Backup,User Archive & How to take?
2. Difference between 5.x, 6.x VNB
3 .In which location(path) the temp files located in Netbackup for Windows/Unix?
4. How do you configure a client for automatic backups?
5. What's the difference between diff incr and cumulative incr? What happens when I mix them on Windows client... Unix client?
6. How is a changed file determined on Unix?
7. When would I, or would I not, use cross mount points?
8. What is the difference between a Volume Group and a Volume Pool?
9. How do you back up the catalog? Why is this important? What do you have todo if you don't have a catalog backup?
10. How do you recover the catalog?
11. How do you configure retention levels for a backup?
12. If I install the Admin client on an NT workstation, what else has to be done for it to work... be an authorized server?
13. What is multiplexing? What is multiple data streams? Are they the same?
14 .how can I recover an corrupted image?
15. How can we assign barcode rules?
16. What is OTM? TIR?
17. What format does NetBackup write the tape in?
18. How does NetBackup tie together with Media Manager?
19. How do I create a Storage Unit that will only be used by one client?
20. What is the difference between the expiration date for a volume in NetBackup's media catalog and Media Manager's volume database?
22. What is the difference between a frozen volume and a suspended volume?
23. How many Robot Control Hosts can a DLT tape library have?
24. What does the bpbkar process do? bpsched? bpbrm? bpdbm? ltid? What process controls a DLT tape library... a DLT tape drive? What is the AVRD process?
25. Why is the catalog the most important component of Netbackup?
26. What does status 59 mean in the activity monitor?
27. Installation process for NBU 5.x, 6.x?
28. what is AVR mode?
29. Why is a binary catalog more efficient than an ASCII catalog?
30. What are NBU daemons and how to process

Stumpr2
Level 6
This is a good thread and pertinent to NetBackup administrators.
I have been asked to supply questions to hiring managers several times throughout my career.

This is a pretty telling question about basic NetBackup
8. What is the difference between a Volume Group and a Volume Pool?
15. How can we assign barcode rules?

But remember. The answers are only good when a followup question is used to get to more depth. A person could memorize the simple answers to the questions but the proff is in the followups and how the person being interviewed reacts.

rookie11
   VIP   
to my surprise watever chandrasekhar posted only these r available on other websites as well........
anyways can anyone tell me answer for questions
14 .how can I recover an corrupted image?
17. What format does NetBackup write the tape in?
23. How many Robot Control Hosts can a DLT tape library have????????????????///

Hi all

please put questions related to NBU inteview from ur past experience or ur suggestion......................

I strongly feel BOB can help all the new netbackup admins through this discussion thread.

Stumpr2
Level 6

14. bpexpdate then bpimport
17. tar
23. one

See. Easy answers offer little insight, but followup questions on...
14. bpexpdate. when is bpexpdate -deassignempty run?
14. bpimport. Why are there two phases?
17. where is tar in NetBackup and what is it called?
23. how can you change the control host?

Amit_Karia
Level 6

In All interviews i have faced of netbackup.. i found three more or less common questions

1) About RMAN.. backup.. what is backup sequence of rman backup

2) SQL Script.. in client..how to create?

3) How to install media server(with device configuration steps)

4) basic questions about vault and VTL

rookie11
   VIP   
17. where is tar in NetBackup and what is it called?  ??? frankly speaking i hav no idea about this question can anyone help

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Tar is format of tapes written by netbackup

go to host properties->master server->properties--Media  and there is option called allow media overwrite..

same can be found in bp.conf in ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE

chandrasekhar
Level 3
Hi friends,

I am preparing for Solaris & veritas net backup for UNIX. I am attending interviews, i got some questions and solutions. Now  I am having some faqs, plz give me solutions

1. If you have a SCSI attached robot and in device monitor you see the drives marked as AVR, what does that mean and how would you fix it?
2. If I asked you to tell me if a client has Netbackup on it just by using a telnet command what would you do?
3. If you wanted to know what IP address netbackup was using to perform backups what command would you run and where would you run it?
4. What is flash backup?
5. How is image stored in netbackup
6. If a media ID A04567 comes back and it is frozen, what are the steps to unfreeze it and move it back to scratch from the command line?
7. If you wanted to bypass netbackup commands and move a tape from slot 1 to drive 3 how would you do that?
8. What is the client version supported by NBU 6.x and 5.x masters
9. If your last catalog backup was two days ago and the master server crashed what would you have to do to bring your environment back up to present time?
10. How do you find a disk based image via the command line and then delete it?
11. How do you import an NBU image that has been written to a disk storage unit?
12. What are the critical catalogs or databases on a Media Server?
13. How would you tune NetBackup to increase backup performance?
In which location(path) the temp files located in Netbackup for Windows/Unix?
14.What is the process of importing images and why do we import images?
15.How to Importing and expiring images?
16.What does it mean by inventoring a robot?
17.What is SAN media server?
18. How to check tape is bad?
19. How to check the tape is already expired or not?
20. How to check volume pool?
21 Media has been already expired, How to find out?
22. How to check tape is in cap?
53. How to see log entries, how to create log directories?
24.SQL Script.. in client..how to create?
25. How to install media server(with device configuration steps)?
26.what is avr mode

27. There is a Tape library with 10 drives ...Can we able to create 2 Storage units.....?

28.There are 1000 Client machines , 999 machines are transferring datas in good speed but one client machine is taking too long to transfer a datas ..... That is ...backup should complete within 2 hours ..but after 12 hours and more ...the data transfer is still happening.... why?

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
one should have lot patience to answer; let me answer some by today night. :):):):):)

Akashnaik
Level 3
Hi All,

I am also studying netbackup 6.5 on windows platform recently i have attend one interview in IBM but m not able to crack this interview onlt thiz bcoz this was my first interview on netbackup and in our office we implemneted recenlty veritas netbackup for windows....pls suggest..how can i grow my self in Veritas Netbackup.??

Venkatesh_K
Level 5
nice post

Gigabyte
Level 4
1. If you have a SCSI attached robot and in device monitor you see the drives marked as AVR, what does that mean and how would you fix it?
2. If I asked you to tell me if a client has Netbackup on it just by using a telnet command what would you do?
3. If you wanted to know what IP address netbackup was using to perform backups what command would you run and where would you run it?
4. What is flash backup?
6. If a media ID A04567 comes back and it is frozen, what are the steps to unfreeze it and move it back to scratch from the command line?
7. If you wanted to bypass netbackup commands and move a tape from slot 1 to drive 3 how would you do that?
9. If your last catalog backup was two days ago and the master server crashed what would you have to do to bring your environment back up to present time?
11. How do you import an NBU image that has been written to a disk storage unit?
26.what is avr mode

27. There is a Tape library with 10 drives ...Can we able to create 2 Storage units.....?

28.There are 1000 Client machines , 999 machines are transferring datas in good speed but one client machine is taking too long to transfer a datas ..... That is ...backup should complete within 2 hours ..but after 12 hours and more ...the data transfer is still happening.... why?

zippy
Level 6
 Group the swims in the Volume pool?

:)

rishi_rich
Level 5
I think this is an Linux question.If you are untaring some file and you are not giving proper command at that time you will face this problem.
I think it is nothing to do with these Netbackup questions.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified
ANS: Telnet command used to check the bpcd port is running on the client
Telnet < host name> bpcd /13782
ANS: use bpclntcmd –pn from master server to the client.
      Bpcover –r < host name>
4. What is flash backup?
ANS: bpmedia –unfreez < Media ID> 
Through GUI , right click on the media to move to scratch volume pool
ANS: robtest s1 d3
ANS: The version support from 6.x to 4.5
ANS: I am expecting some one answer to this question.
ANS: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279174.htm 

ANS: There are two phases.
Phase I:  It builds the skeleton metadata
Phase II: It allows you to select which images to actually complete the import process.
ANS: Start> program> Backup, restore and archive> select DB’s and save. It will create .bch files
26.what is avr mode
27. There is a Tape library with 10 drives ...Can we able to create 2 Storage units.....?
ANS: As per my knowledge. N no. of storage units you can create. But mail criteria to create a storage unit is.
1: It should be same robot controller
2: It should be same library
3: It should be same media server connected
4: It should be same Density.
ANS: Please check the Network bandwidth. BPTM,bpbrm on both master and media server and bpbkar and bpcd logs on clients. I am appreciated if any one give more information on this.

chandrasekhar
Level 3

Hi frieinds,

I am preparing for Solaris9 & veritas net backup for UNIX. I am attending interviews, i got some questions and solutions. Now  I am having some faqs, plz give me solutions .

1. What is errorcode 58 and trouble shooting?

2. What  is 99 errorcode and troubleshooting?

3. If ndmp backup faile how do troubleshooging?

4.. How to take catalog backup?

5. How fo restore catalog backup?

6. How can we assign barcode rules?

7. How to install media server(with device configuration steps)?

8. Basic questions about vault and VTL?

9. How to check the tape is already expired or not?

10. How to check volume pool?

11 Media has been already expired, How to find out?

12. How to check tape is in cap?

13. How to see log entries, how to create log directories?

14. How to check tape is bad?

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
All questions that you have asked is answered once you verify the docs provided by Symantec.. And also it will be more helpful for you to understand the concept.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290282.htm

you can get all docs from the above site.. 

I know its very tough to study all these... If you dont like to do so, just search for your question and get the answer.... but i would recommend to study all these before going to interview...

mohanchandra
Level 2
Please send question & answers to cmmalla2k@yahoo.co.in.