Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup Catalog Backup Status 2

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi,

let me give a brief summary, 

On my network i have two robot library configured on the master server.

One is to be used to store the backup of all the servers with a FULL BACKUP POLICY while the other robot library is to store all the Incremental backups.

but we have just be using just one of the library. 

attached to this comment is the output for the STATUS CODE ERROR 2 as suggested

"For Status 2, please include output of your Catalog policy: bppllist CATALOG_POLICY -U"

***********Post Title updated by MvdB ***********

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

I have been able to sort out the catalog backup error. I don't have error for catalog backup again.

I sorted this out from my Catalog Policy>Attributes>Policy Storage... Under policy storage i changed it from Any available to the exact configured storage device, and that was it.

For the past one week i have not had any problems or errors again on catalog backup.

My biggest issue now is error 96

Thx

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per the policy output, the DR file needs to be written to E:\Catalog Backup.

Can you verify that this folder exists on the master server and that files can be created in this folder by the user account that is running the NBU Client Service?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Was this a recent upgrade to 7.x, perhaps?

I don't know if this TechNote applies to you or not but it was recently added to the Late Breaking News...

STATUS CODE 2: NetBackup 7.x catalog backup fails with status 2 (none of the requested files were backed up) reported
 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141955

Does C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBacukpDB\data\NBDB.m.mlg exist?  If so, there's your problem.  Follow the instructions in this TechNote!

If this doesn't apply, sorry!  Give us some more info!  :)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

We got the OP to re-post as three separate queries were originally posted as one (& posts can have a tendency to grow exponentially in length!):

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-11

"...
i have attached the 3 errors together because, that has been the majors errors i have been facing since we installed Netbackup 7.0
..."

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@ Marianne

the DR file exist and i have created files in it.

It has some of the logs in it, take a look at the screendump.

@ CRZ,

This does not exist C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBacukpDB\data\NBDB.m.mlg

you can take a look at the screendump

what kind of  info do you need from me.

I really want to get this sorted out.

Marianne
Level 6

Seems you had a successful catalog backup on 22 December?

If I read the TN that Chris posted correctly, you need to have another look at the folder after you have seen a failed Catalog backup.

I'm also wondering if the failed catalog backups have something to do with the status 96's (as per screendumps in post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-11) ?

Please filter CATALOG in Activity Monitor and save info as text file as follows: Select File -> Export.  Select folder and type filename.

Also ensure you have bpdbm log directory on master for further troubleshooting. Restart NBU after creating the folder.

Marianne
Level 6

"I really want to get this sorted out."

Doesn't seem to be TOO urgent, does it?

Any feedback?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Chukwuemeka,

You've probably fixed this by now, but just in case you HAVEN'T....

My hunch is that the nicscrpt.pdf shortcut is messing things up.  I have no idea what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's not part of the NBU database.  :)  Can you move that file out of the data subdirectory and retry the catalog backup to see if that fixes it?

Will_Restore
Level 6

is HP Network Adapter Scripting User Guide and Chris is right, nothing to do with NBU database

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

Chukwuemeka:

can you verify the rights the userrname you supplied have?

Marianne
Level 6

I've been wondering if the failed catalog backups are related to the status 96 and managed to simulate the problem in our lab.

I've ensured that all media in the robot are in NetBackup pool, thus nothing in CatalogBackup pool.

Kicked off test policy, parent and staging job failed with Status 2, child job that needs tape failed with Status 96.

Job Id   Type             State       Status    Policy    Schedule    Client
------------------------------------------------    ----------    -----------
2011     Catalog Backup   Done    96    Hot-test    Hot_Catalog    nbuclus
2010     Catalog Backup   Done    2    Hot-test    Hot_Catalog    nbuclus
2009     Catalog Backup   Done    2    Hot-test    -   

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Guys,

Happy new year,

Sorry i have been off for a while.

I was out for a while, but i am back now.

I will keep you posted, as soon as i get to the site. I really want us to get this thing sorted out as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your contributions so far... 

Marianne
Level 6

Looking forward to an update, seeing that you "really want us to get this thing sorted out as soon as possible."

Seems there haven't been reliable catalog backups for over a month now?

I'm curious to see if my gut-feel about status 96 is correct... See my comment above: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-12#comment-5004311

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

I have been able to sort out the catalog backup error. I don't have error for catalog backup again.

I sorted this out from my Catalog Policy>Attributes>Policy Storage... Under policy storage i changed it from Any available to the exact configured storage device, and that was it.

For the past one week i have not had any problems or errors again on catalog backup.

My biggest issue now is error 96

Thx