cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup SAN FT client for Solaris LDOMs

mpatt
Level 4
Certified

Trying to implement SAN FT Client. I had it set up on physical environments and it seems to work. So far the environment is 1 Solaris 10 Master, 4 Solaris Media Servers and a normal client (filesystem backup) and DB client. DB backup took 2 hours for 1 TB.

Much of our environment is on Solaris LDOM's and VMware. I would like to begin with Solaris LDOMs and havent found any document from Symantec that states that SAN FT client works for Sun Virtualization. So i tried configuring it.

Since the Control Domain of the LDOM (or Hypervisor) controls the resources, the guest LDOM's cannot see the target LUN's on the FT Media server (cfgadm: Configuration administration not supported) 

I installed Netbackup on the parent LDOM and configured it as a SAN client, which shows up in the console. The guest LDOM has a standalone installation of netbackup client (so it is independent of parent server installation) and has SANCLIENT=1. It shows up as an FT client but has no FT devices configured?

I read the below technote and wonder if a Global Zone isntallation (SAN Client) can be linked to guest LDOM? But would DB backup work with Agent?

Any expert advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Sorry for not posting sooner. Oracle has said that SAN client can be supported in Solaris 11 Local zones, however Symantec has yet to confirm they will support it. There is nothing that can be done about Solaris 10.

That being said We are a Solaris 10 shop and have no plans to convert. We have not even moved completely off of Solaris 8 for crying out loud.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I am attempting to do the same thing with local zones (non-global zone) and utilizing Virtual HBAs. If the tech note you are referring to is

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH162994&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fs...

TECH162994 I attempted to follow the steps but the local zone FT client complains.

01/04/13 07:22:03.392 [FATClientMgrService::init] Client successfully started (FATClientMgrService.cpp:324)
01/04/13 07:22:03.549 [DiscoveryTaskThread]  DiscoveryTask Thread 8 Startup
01/04/13 07:22:07.558 [DeviceInquiry] failed on /dev/rmt/0cbn; Not owner

Any help on this?

mpatt
Level 4
Certified

Sorry for the delayed response, but i figured out that this could not be done, coz the FT is configured at the parent, which isnt seen in the guest LDOM. I am only using FT media server for standalone servers and not Virtual servers.

Let me know if you made any in roads on this and share the info. I would be grateful.

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Thank you, Marianne for posting my response here. I do have an up date. At last word Oracle and Symantec were discussing this again to see what would be needed to find a solution. This is not an immediate solution but it is encouraging.

mpatt
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Wolfsbane. I hope you can update us of any positive outcomes coz we are moving out of physical boxes more rapidly and LAN backups havent been helping much. I am relying on NIC aggregation currently, but its still no comparison to FT backups. 

Also, hope this thread isnt closed till then. 

Thanks Marianne.

mpatt
Level 4
Certified

Hi Andy,

Its been 3 months since your update that Oracle and Symantec have opened up the discussion again to support Solaris LDOM's as SAN clients.

Would you or anyone in the forum have an update about this?

Thank in advance.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Sorry for not posting sooner. Oracle has said that SAN client can be supported in Solaris 11 Local zones, however Symantec has yet to confirm they will support it. There is nothing that can be done about Solaris 10.

That being said We are a Solaris 10 shop and have no plans to convert. We have not even moved completely off of Solaris 8 for crying out loud.

mpatt
Level 4
Certified

Thats some good news although not much to cheer from. We dont have any plans in the next 1 year to move to Solaris 11. We are moving to LDOM's as we embrace "less server footprint". FT client really helped us on standalone clients, and now we are looking to find a faster backup solution as we move to LDOM's.

Thanks Andy for the quick response.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Andrew laugh