Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup capacity based license

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi guys

Once again am asking this question, the last time i could not figure out a solution.

I use Netbackup 7.0.1  with the capacity based license feature.

I serioursly need to give a report or state the amount of data size that has been used.

For example we paid for 10TB Capacity based license for NBU 7.0.1....how can i no the size that have been used e.g 5TB, 7TB, or ....etc as the case may be.

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you are doing full backups for all clients over a weekend, run a client Backup report for all clients (the default) and select the beginning of your backup window (e.g. Friday 18:00) till end of backup window (e.g Monday 08:00). The report will take some time to run.
Save the report in txt format.
Import txt report into Excel. Sum Client backup totals. NO STRESS!!
I have done this for customers backing up 600 clients.

As I have suggested in your other post - do this for 3 - 4 full backups and use the average.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Daniel_Allen1
Level 2

There's a report under Disk Reports called Disk Stoage Unit Status that will give you the Total Capacity, Used Capacity, Available Capacity, etc.  You would need to add up the numbers for all of your disk storage units but it should get you what you need.

skarve
Level 4
Certified

Hi Starting with Netbackup 7.1 nbdeployutil tool can be used to find the actual capacity of data being backed up.

For Netbackup 7.0.1 you will need an patch installed. Please download the same from this link:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH148678 

About how to run nbdeployutil tool .....

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO43785

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Marianne

You say we did NOT answer your question in this discussion?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/total-size-data-backed

ALL you need is a Client Backup report for one FULL backup for each of your clients.

So, even if you keep multiple full (and incremental) backups for all of your backups, you don't need to add up all of these copies. 'Front ent' means amount of data protected on clients - not all copies added up.

You can also find a 'Symantec NetBackup Capacity License Deployment Utility' here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148678

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi guys,

I am actually using VTL and a tape library and not disk, so i cannot check it via Disk Reports.

I have been working with the nbdeployutil since Tuesday but have not seen what i am looking for(as in, i have not yet mastered fully how to use this tool).

I am still working on this tool.

@ Marianne , i have about 50 clients and yes i should believe that a total sum of all the client backup report on each client should give me a total size of what has been used.

But doing this for about 50 Clients could be very stressful, is there any simpler way..

thanks

Marianne

If you are doing full backups for all clients over a weekend, run a client Backup report for all clients (the default) and select the beginning of your backup window (e.g. Friday 18:00) till end of backup window (e.g Monday 08:00). The report will take some time to run.
Save the report in txt format.
Import txt report into Excel. Sum Client backup totals. NO STRESS!!
I have done this for customers backing up 600 clients.

As I have suggested in your other post - do this for 3 - 4 full backups and use the average.

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you can upgrade to 7.1 and have a license for OpsCenter Analytics (not sure it is available in the standard version) you can retrieve the capacity used by using the deployment analysis and export it in an easily read Excel spreadsheet. It does however require some additional configuration as a full agent must be installed to collect the information.

It breaks it down also on disk storage, tape library, etc.

It works quite well. Very useful.

/A

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

ok guys,,,,would work on the variours suggestions.

Thanks

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

aalmorth

Can u hare any relevant article or blog by you. which simplyfies this procedure.... i ran into trouble several times while seeking licensing information through OPscenter......

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well, perhaps I should put something together... But it will only be in January though, a bit busy at the moment...

When you say you ran into trouble, any specifics?

Granted, it is not covered in great details in the guide, so some additional information would be of use.

But let me write something brief here now;

The main problem is essentially that you need to install a full OpsCenter agent on either a Solaris 10 SPARC or a Windows 2003/2008 server as the integrated agent cannot collect the additional data required.

A working setup would be an OpsCenter server running on a Windows 2008R2 host, and then separately another Windows 2008R2 host with the OpsCenter agent installed. you would also need to install the Administration Console option of NetBackup on the agent host, so that it can use the admin commands to collect data.

You can install the agent on the OpsCenter server, but the installer is not very happy as you mix 32- and 64-bit. OpsCenter server is 64 bit only, and the agent is 32 bit only. I have gotten this to work, but would not do it in production... So a separate host for the agent. If your master server is either a Solaris or Windows host, then you could install the agent on the master directly.

You then configure the integrated agent for data collection of your master, to see that it works fine. You then add the agent and configure it to collect data from the same master. Important point here is that on the master server you would need to add the OpsCenter server and agent host to the additional hosts list in order to allow connections.

For the agent, enable collection of license deployment data; only then will the agent collect the required data.

The first run will take a while, as the agent would need to run through all backups for the past 30 days for all clients. So be patient...

Then in Manage > Deployment Analysis on the licensing tab, click on the Collect data and run report...

This will run for a few minutes at least. For example, in an environment with approx 500 clients, 45TB of data and about 600 policies it runs for almost three minutes on a virtualized Windows 2008R2 server.

Once finished, you can open the report and analyze the results. The tricky part here is that if the clients are found in multiple policies, then you would manually have to consolidate the results in order to remove any duplicates. Example; You have two policies for the same client, one to be used for monthly backups, and one for daily/weekly backups. If the client has 5TB frontend, those would potentially show up as 10TB. Granted, this sort of policy design is not really what I would use but I have seen quite a few customers splitting this way instead of using multiple schedules within the policy. But I hope you get the point of the results consolidation.

The spreadsheet contains multiple sheets, where the itemization sheet holds the data for each client and divide between storage type such as tape, PureDisk, Advanced Disk etc.

/A