cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup catalog recovery to alternate location

Brits
Level 6

Hi Team, 

Please guide to perform the netbackup catalog recovery to an alternate location (on the same master server). The requirement is to ensure the catalog backups are useful in case of any corruption in Netbackup.

after testing the recovery , roll back the netbackup to original location.

master server is windows 2012.

NBU version - 7.6.0.3

Catalog data size is small , 10 GB approx

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can't

You create a DR server in a closed lab with same name and test the catalog recovery procedure there.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no option to recover catalog to alternate location.

Catalog recovery can only be done to same location that it was backed up from.

To test for 'DR readines', you can prepare a test server on a private network with same hostname as master server, install NBU to same location and patch to same version, then recover catalog.

You can possibly config USB drive as basic disk STU for catalog backup and DR-file on production master.

Use this USB drive on test server to recover catalog.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I can only endorse doing a catalog recovery exerciser. Unfortunately the manual does not describe this very good, so I strongly recommend writing your own checklist if its one day, is for real.

The device for storing catalog backup has big impact on how easy its is to restore. A basic disk storage unit it the most simple and easiest device to use. MSDP the hardest.

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can't

You create a DR server in a closed lab with same name and test the catalog recovery procedure there.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no option to recover catalog to alternate location.

Catalog recovery can only be done to same location that it was backed up from.

To test for 'DR readines', you can prepare a test server on a private network with same hostname as master server, install NBU to same location and patch to same version, then recover catalog.

You can possibly config USB drive as basic disk STU for catalog backup and DR-file on production master.

Use this USB drive on test server to recover catalog.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I can only endorse doing a catalog recovery exerciser. Unfortunately the manual does not describe this very good, so I strongly recommend writing your own checklist if its one day, is for real.

The device for storing catalog backup has big impact on how easy its is to restore. A basic disk storage unit it the most simple and easiest device to use. MSDP the hardest.