cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup client host properties invalid error number

screech27
Level 3

I can backup the client, loaded the software with all correct master/media servers.  Put info in host files.

I need to make exclusions in the host properties, but cannot get it to come up.  Take a long time, then says invalid error number.

Can do nslookup with name and IP both ways, no problem.  Firewall is on for the client, but an inbound rule is made to our windows media server and IP to allow all TCP ports.

on the media server bpclntcmd - hn server name returns correct name and Ip of client

Any ideas would be great.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Host Properties needs connectivity between master and client. It seems you have only allowed firewall connection between media server(s) and client. Use 'bptestbpcd -client (name) -debug -verbose' on the master server to test connectivity.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

watsons
Level 6

What OS is your client? 

There are some old threads you can check regarding that error:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/host-properties-returns-quotinvalid-error-numberquot

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/connecting-client-invalid-error-number

Worst case, you might need to reinstall the client NBU.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Host Properties needs connectivity between master and client. It seems you have only allowed firewall connection between media server(s) and client. Use 'bptestbpcd -client (name) -debug -verbose' on the master server to test connectivity.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You may be missing one or more rules, or have one or more mis-configured rules.

Please show your inbound firewall rule(s), for each rule that you have configured for NetBackup.

If you have the letters 'nbu' in all of your NetBackup rule names, then you can list the rule names easily with:

> netsh advfirewall firewall show rule name=ALL | find /i "nbu"

...and then list each of the rules that you created for NetBackup in detail:

> netsh advfirewall firewall show rule name=my-rule-name verbose

Please do not list all of your rules or all of the rules in Windows - please only list the rules that you created for NetBackup.

screech27
Level 3

Thank you Marianne!  you are right, I only added the IP of the media server and not the master into my firewall rule.  Once I added the IP of the master server allowing all TCP port communication inbound, I was able to get to the host properties of the client!

You are AWESOME!  I truly appreciate your help.  Have a great day!