cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup client services

Francis_Doran
Level 4
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew if netbackup provided a script for starting and stoping its own client smf services.

atrcx730(root) #: svcs -a | egrep "bpcd|vnetd|vopied|bpjava-msvc"
online         17:34:19 svc:/network/bpcd/tcp:default
online         17:34:21 svc:/network/vnetd/tcp:default
online         17:34:25 svc:/network/vopied/tcp:default
online         17:34:25 svc:/network/bpjava-msvc/tcp:default
atrcx730(root) #:

I know it provides the following /etc/rc2.d/S95nbclient but its stops and starts NetBackup SAN Client Fibre Transport daemon and NetBackup Bare Metal Restore Boot Server daemon.

Does anyone know of a way of turning these services on/off bar doing each of them manually.

Regards
Francis
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Christoph_Linde
Level 5
Employee
What NetBackup Version are you refering to?

Before NetBackup 7, there is no Client service on Unix. Instead of this, the bpcd and vnetd daemons are started by inetd (or svc as a successor of inetd). So there is simply nothing to disable or stop. What you see with this SVC commands is, that port 13724 and 13782 are listening. Thats all. No process is running. You can check this by running bpps -a on the client. You will find, that no bpcd or vnetd process is running if no NetBackup operation is running.

In NetBackup7 this behaviour has changed as default. Now bpcd and vnetd are started by running the init script and not by inetd anymore.

You can change this behaviour if you like. You have to disable the services in svc with svcadm. Then write an init script where you call bpcd -standalone and vnetd -standalone. Thats it. But if you ask me. I would leave it alone and let it run as intended.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Christoph_Linde
Level 5
Employee
What NetBackup Version are you refering to?

Before NetBackup 7, there is no Client service on Unix. Instead of this, the bpcd and vnetd daemons are started by inetd (or svc as a successor of inetd). So there is simply nothing to disable or stop. What you see with this SVC commands is, that port 13724 and 13782 are listening. Thats all. No process is running. You can check this by running bpps -a on the client. You will find, that no bpcd or vnetd process is running if no NetBackup operation is running.

In NetBackup7 this behaviour has changed as default. Now bpcd and vnetd are started by running the init script and not by inetd anymore.

You can change this behaviour if you like. You have to disable the services in svc with svcadm. Then write an init script where you call bpcd -standalone and vnetd -standalone. Thats it. But if you ask me. I would leave it alone and let it run as intended.