cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup client

atif_munir
Level 4
Can I manage the netbckup installed on a solaris 880 box through its
windows client installed on my desktop? I am running windws XP.

Thanks in advance
18 REPLIES 18

Italo_Calvano_J
Level 4
Yes, you can manage your Netbackup Server.

You can install Administration Console for Windows ou Java Administration for Windows. Those softwares are on CD-ROM instalation of Netbackup Master Server.

I prefer to use Java.

bye,
Italo.

zippy
Level 6
You can also manage it using exceed or hummingbird, loggin into CDE or VUE and then export DISPLAY:hostname_of_XP_box:0.0 then run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA &

JD

Stumpr2
Level 6
It's been awhile since I checked the compatability charts, but last time I looked windows XP was not a supported platform for the Remote Admin Console. However Windows XP "Professional" was supported.

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
I highly recommend exceed or reflectionx or similar program over either the remote admin console or the Java GUI. It just eliminates a lot of headaches. However, if not, and you are running XP I believe that Bob is right and you will have to use the Java GUI.

Stumpr2
Level 6
what is reflectionx?

h_m
Level 6
for NBU 6.0, the java GUI is more stable than the Admin console or Remote Admin Console on windows, and will allow you to do things that the Admin console or remote admin console cant do...

DavidParker
Level 6
> for NBU 6.0, the java GUI is more stable than the
> Admin console or Remote Admin Console on windows, and
> will allow you to do things that the Admin console
> or remote admin console cant do...

Really, I've found the opposite to be true: the Admin Console is more stable and allows you to do more things than the Java Console. Plus it doesn't hog resources like the JC does ...

h_m
Level 6
I agree java can be slow, and can eat up resources, bit it does have it's plus points. The fact you have to authenticate to use is a bonus.

Recent NBU 6.0 experience of the Admin console and command line gave me differing results, and Veritas could not explain why. The Admin Console does not deal with STU's very well, and have found this also in NBU 5.x. Attempting to update clustered STU's in the Admin Console can break the STU, putting in the wrong settings. The only way around it is to use the command line or JAVA GUI.

So some tasks are better (quicker) via the Admin Console and the Remote Admin Console, but apparently the JAVA GUI is more trustworthy. :)

DavidParker
Level 6
Indeed.
Just pray that you don't have to disable 50+ policies through the Java Console ...
Wow, would that take forever!

Actually, it looks like you can setup authentication with the Admin Console too: see the VxSS feature.

h_m
Level 6
Good point!! Most admin is better via the Admin Console, but just be aware that there are ome functions that only the java GUI can handle.

VxSS - yep a good product, but for people who are not brave enough to dablle with VxSS then only having JAVA on the administrators desktops is the way to go :)

DavidParker
Level 6
Ok, I'm curious: what can you do in the Java Console that you CAN'T do in the Admin Console?

h_m
Level 6
setting an app_cluster host name within a storage unit.

I can not rember the other anomolies I found between the Admin Console and command line....

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
reflectinx is similar to hummingbird exceed. reflectionsx was basically the solution prior to Hummingbird.Message was edited by:
Dennis Strom

DavidParker
Level 6
Hmm, ok, that's 1 thing ...

I've heard about another: in the BA&R interface, the Java Console has a 'Preview' button that will show you what a Restore job is going to look like and what media it will require. I think in the regular Admin Console, you have to actually start the job before seeing that information.

Not a real biggie there, but a difference ...

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I administer my remote site from my pc running xp pro using the Java Console without any problems. Acutally I run the java console (admin console) on my xp pro box but I work on my pc by using rdesktop on my Solaris 9 workstation. So cool. I use rdesktop to get into all the windoze servers. I also use xterms a lot so that I can use the cli.

The nice thnig about rdesktop is that I can have as many sessions going at one time as I want. That way I an look at a couple of servers at a time to compare setups plus have my pc session going with the Netbackup Java Admin Console.

For extra geek points on occasion I throw in a vnc session or I run rdesktop to get on my pc then run exeed to run an xterm on my UNIX box.

h_m
Level 6
David,

I agree with you (and that restore functionality is marvellous), and on the whole I would still perform most admin from the Admin Console, but after experiences with NBU 6.0, I now know to use JAVA if I'm doing anything to do with STU's and clustered media servers, and I would also use the JAVA console configuring vault, as again funny things were happening through the Admin Console. Vault/Catalog policies were also misbehaving... and the Veritas support person was also surprised at what he was seeing..

So to conclude - just be aware that the Admin Console may be a bit flaky in NBU6.0, but for day to day admin it should be fine.

Good luck !

DavidParker
Level 6
> So to conclude - just be aware that the Admin Console may be a bit flaky in NBU6.0, but
> for day to day admin it should be fine.

All the more reason to stick with 5.1 =)

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I am running 6 but perhaps the reason I have not had any problems is that I am not using clusters or vault.