cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup doubts

shashi0621
Level 5
Hi ALL, I have some basic doubts.i have studying the NBU docs and pdfs.and also google. 1. restart folder and ffile logs under /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs contains what information. try logs: detailed information of job ffilelogs: backup selection of a job. restart logs: ??? 2...What is an EEB..is it a patch on the current version or what. is it an exe file or what. ffile logs contains: backup selection of the job try logs: detailed information of the job. The /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/trylogs directory contains .t files which store details for individual backup jobs. These files are then read by the bpdbjobs command to display job information. restart logs:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Out of the questions, to be fair, the trylogs is useful, as this is effectivly the same as the detailed information in the GUI for a job = easily searchable via the command line (grep etc ... if on Unix)

The others I would forget about ...

The ffilelogs is indeed the backup selection for a job - not something I've ever needed to use.

I don't think I have ever looked in restart until today ...  Given, at least on my system it contains files with jobids that have failed backups, it would appear, that NBU will use this information to restart the failed job should it wish to do so.  In fact it does, as I have just deleted of the files and now cannot 'restart' that particular job.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why do you need this level of detail regarding the jobs database?

EEB = Emergency Engineering Binary
This is a patch to fix a problem before the next official NBU patch or minor version is released.

shashi0621
Level 5

Thanks Marianne.

Actually in the training this has been asked many times by the symantec trainees.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Actually in the training this has been asked many times by the symantec trainees.

And what was the trainer's answer?

In my 16 years of working with NetBackup, I have never needed to know about each folder in the jobs database and its function...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi Shashi - I had exactly the same reaction when I read your post - in all my years with NetBackup I have never even once had to manually go in to the jobs database folders and trylogs - take it from us, there's no value in understanding these binary files.  I've worked on NetBackup since v4.5, and I've never had to go in there.

shashi0621
Level 5

thanks SDO and marianne for the reply.

The trainer told that it contains restart jobs information.but i am not sure of that.If you can please post your answer here marianne.

sdo

To be honest, I for one, cannot answer your question because I don't understand the structure of these files.  I've never had to.  All I have ever needed to do is use the "bpbdjobs" command to query the jobs database.  I very much think that if you were to manipulate, or even lock, even just one of the files in the try logs area then you will almost certainly break NetBackup.  I'm not aware of any commands to manipulate these files outside of, or within, NetBackup.  This isn't something that a NetBackup admin/engineer does.  In fact these files have no relevance whatsoever when designing, implementing, documenting, supporting, administering NetBackup.

I can't ever remember opening a support case and having to manipulate the files.  And I can't recall any tech notes or scripts or documentation around these files.  The only roles that I think would be interested in these files are the the programmers and developers of NetBackup.  Are you a programmer for NetBackup?  Or are you a programmer for a third party tool and trying to "read" or "control" NetBackup without using one of the normal native NetBackup CLI commands?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Out of the questions, to be fair, the trylogs is useful, as this is effectivly the same as the detailed information in the GUI for a job = easily searchable via the command line (grep etc ... if on Unix)

The others I would forget about ...

The ffilelogs is indeed the backup selection for a job - not something I've ever needed to use.

I don't think I have ever looked in restart until today ...  Given, at least on my system it contains files with jobids that have failed backups, it would appear, that NBU will use this information to restart the failed job should it wish to do so.  In fact it does, as I have just deleted of the files and now cannot 'restart' that particular job.

shashi0621
Level 5

Thanks SDO and martin.

@SDO :no iam not a programmer or developer.

sdo

Ok - have fun fiddling with (and reading (and holding open (and locking))) application meta-data files underneath NetBackup.  I'm fairly sure that NetBackup Server will apreciate that.  I think I'll stick to the documented and supported command of "bpdbjobs", and the scripting is easier with this command too.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just to reinforce SDOs points - apart from a quick cat <trylog> I wouldn't touch any of the files personally - as I briefly demonstrated in my previous post  (on a test machine) doing so breaks NBU ...

I'm struggling to understand why a NBU trainer is going anywhere near these files.

CBC_Companies
Level 2

The ONLY time I have needed to use these files is when I have an orphaned job - one that is doing nothing and I cannot delete it. 

At one time there was a documented process available on this site that essentially consisted of stopping netbackup (when NOTHING else was running) and removing some of these files, so you can CLEAR out your activity in java console. That is the ONLY time I ever touched them.

I have been able to use the locally installed windows console to delete these as well, looks like I may need to refresh this process in 7.7, since the windows console is no more.

As far as EEB - in the past I have had to deal with multiple engineering fixes, so I had to track them.

I have had multiple NB versions and multiple media server OS, so for example, I may need to install GA version, then patch to GA.X, then install EEB1 on OS1 media servers, or EEB2 on master.

I made a text file with a listing of what they did, since it can be hard to tell. Generally you won't go too far wrong DOCUMENTING what you need to install to get your stuff working.

I have NEVER installed EEB if I was not having issues, that is just asking for trouble.