cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup media server

Andy2345
Level 6

I have an activity on my media server.Some RAM upgrade activity on the media server .Time is for 6 hrs.

What can be done so that my backup will not be impacted.

Shall I deactivate the media server or make it offline frm master server --> client attributes.

Please suggest.

I have a disk pool and every disk pool has this master server selected along with 2 more.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Offline in Client attributes will merely prevent backups to run for policies where the media server is specified in Clients tab. The option is what it says - offline CLIENT. If you don't want Media Server to be used as a Media Server, you need to DEACTIVATE it. Check STU's as per my previous posts to ensure that backups are done by other media servers during maintenance slot.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Deactivate the media server. Move any policies that use this media servers storage unit to another media server until the RAM upgrade has been done. The upgrade should not take too long to do.

How to deactivate media server: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO33878

Marianne

I would simply deactivate the media server.

Whether backups will be impacted depends on how Storage Units are configured and selection of STU in policies. (You don't specify disk pools in policies, only STU or STUG.)

If you have a STU defined for each media server and specific STU name is used in policy or SLP, your backups will be affected. 

If you are using STU groups and STUG is specified in policies/SLPs, your backups will not be affected.

Please check STU config (bpstulist -g -U) and policy and/or SLP config.

every disk pool has this master server selected along with 2 more.

I guess you are referring to media servers and not master?

Andy2345
Level 6

every disk pool has this media server selected along with 2 more.

Thanks Marianne and  revaroo.

But we have been told to offline that  media server  from the onsite team.

What if I offline that media server?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

is media server also master server?

if so then it is likely your backups will be delayed untill activity is completed.

Andy2345
Level 6

No.!!!

Andy2345
Level 6

But we have been told to offline that  media server  from the onsite team.

What if I offline that media server?

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Follow the below solutions

1- Offline media server.

2- Deactivate the policy or change the policy activation (go into effect of) date (if not configured Storage group).

3- Move the storage unit to another media server.

Ankit Maheshwari

Marianne

I have answered you.

Please read my post again.

Andy2345
Level 6

I just wana know difference between offlining a media server from master server--clien attributes ---make offline    and deactivating it?

Marianne
Offline in Client attributes will merely prevent backups to run for policies where the media server is specified in Clients tab. The option is what it says - offline CLIENT. If you don't want Media Server to be used as a Media Server, you need to DEACTIVATE it. Check STU's as per my previous posts to ensure that backups are done by other media servers during maintenance slot.

Andy2345
Level 6

Thanks Marianne.Netbackup god .!!!!